1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Memories of the last Royal Wedding

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lurk_much, Nov 17, 2010.

1. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Happy days. I was working in Butlins Skegness, in the Empire Bar, a right royal piss
    up it was too. The tips were briliant and the bonhomie unrivalled all
    year. It was a good day, takings that needed a sack trolley. I can
    still remember that crowd, massively cheerful, singing, dancing, hardly
    any fights and punters having sex all over the place.
    I realise I am feeling quite positive about this wedding, I thought I didn't care
    but I have already laid in some weed and am considering the party
    options..

[​IMG]

I
    What about you?

2. lurk_much

Happy days. I was working in Butlins Skegness, in the Empire Bar, a right royal piss
    up it was too. The tips were briliant and the bonhomie unrivalled all
    year. It was a good day, takings that needed a sack trolley. I can
    still remember that crowd, massively cheerful, singing, dancing, hardly
    any fights and punters having sex all over the place.
    I realise I am feeling quite positive about this wedding, I thought I didn't care
    but I have already laid in some weed and am considering the party
    options..

[​IMG]

I
    What about you?

3. I hadn't been born so no memories for me!

4. the last was that Eddie or has one of Annes kids got married or was it Charlie and the horse

Or did you mean Charlie and Di ... in which case ... my Mum dragged me out of bed because she was sure I wanted to watch it really

5. The week before the wedding of Charles and Diana (not the last royal wedding by a long chalk), I had packed up my nice job in a nice school in London to move back up north with Mr L. I had missed him, I didn't like living away from him on my own, he didn't want to live in London even if we could have afforded to buy a house there, which no way. So I was back in Leeds, no job and no money.
    Had a few pints in the local beer garden with friends who were still living in Leeds. Went home, slept it off, watched the highlights later with Mr L when he got back from work.
    I hope this one's a bit more exciting. I'll probably get some crack in and a new pipe.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Chas & Di 1981 - I was working on the archaeological dig at Carisbrooke Castle. We had the day off so we stuck a portable TV on a very long extension lead on top of the spoil tip to get a decent signal inside the castle walls, and tried watching it but couldn't see it very well because of the bright sunshine.
    Gave up on the wedding and went to the beach for the afternoon.

7. lurk_much

sorry I seem to have missed the ones since 1981

8. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

I was 3. I remember Fergie and Andrew getting married though. It was just the age I was into princesses and I had a very strong idea about what princesses should look like. Fergie pretty much got it on her wedding day. Very pretty, I thought.

9. Princess Anne and Cpt Mark Phillips - I seem to remember watching this at school, but I can't help thinking I must be wrong. Surely we would have had a day off?
    Charles and Di - was on holiday somewhere, the owner of the campsite put a tv in an empty barn and all the campers watched it together. Couldn't see very well, but lovely community feeling.
    Andrew and Fergie - was working as a door-to-door salesperson. Nobody was interested, most wouldn't even open the door. We ended up watching in a cafe and going to the cinema!
    Can't even remember Edward and Sophie - was it on?

10. She looked much better than Diana the Meringue. I loved the dress and the hair. Pity she was so ghastly.

11. That makes me feel old!
    I went to a street party on my road. We had a hat competition and had to decorate our hats with Charles and Di memorabilia. I got third place with mine!

12. For Andrew and Fergie we were on holiday in France and watched it on the campsite TV!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

We didn't get a day off school but my best friend's mum encouraged us to dog it and she made sandwiches, cake and tea which we had off her best china while we watched the wedding. Memories of that day stick in my mind more than any other royal wedding.

14. We got a day off school. I thought that was a lovely Royal wedding but I rate Princess Anne more than the other royals anyway.
    Charles and Di - I remember my grandmother getting very excited, all of us sitting around the tv with drinks and nibbles listening to Alistair something-or-the-other (can't remember his name right now) fawn endlessly throughout.
    Diana's creased dress and the way her hair looked a bit rubbish because of her tiara are the things that REALLY stick out as memories.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

She got a hard time for telling the press to "naff off" but even then I thought it was a totally appropriate response to them and nothing that has happened since then has changed my mind. It'd be a better world if the press was universally told to naff off. I get the impression she'd be okay to have a drink with.
    Getting encouraged to skip school by a grown up made it a great wedding.

16. inq

inq

Charles and Di - sailing at the Mirror Nationals in Eastbourne. That evening there was a treasure hunt around Eastbourne, we won and I still have the glasses in their presentation box in the loft (somewhere!).

17. lurk_much

I really like this thread, it is very human, can we have some more?

18. My Nanny, (my Dad's Mum) was a cockney, always a great royalist and this was passed down to us. I watched Charles and Di with my lovely Mum, two days after my 21st birthday. I remember being bitterly disappointed with the dress. I bet we drank a toast to them. Sherry.

19. Sarah and ANdrew - the dress was much nicer, but I remember her being so boastful about it.

20. She was. Never hit the right note. But it must have been galling to be constantly compared (unfavourably) with the perfect Diana.