1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

memories of grandparents

Discussion in 'Personal' started by madwoman, Aug 16, 2007.

1. My parents have just gone home after spending a few days with us and I was discussing them with my children today and they remember the tiny little things that they do for them, nothing major and it got me thinking about my own grandparents

somethings stick in your mind don't they,

My great grandmother used to cook me chips and wrap them in a greaseproof paper bag for me to eat.

anyone else have such memories?

2. My parents have just gone home after spending a few days with us and I was discussing them with my children today and they remember the tiny little things that they do for them, nothing major and it got me thinking about my own grandparents

somethings stick in your mind don't they,

My great grandmother used to cook me chips and wrap them in a greaseproof paper bag for me to eat.

anyone else have such memories?

3. We used to have to go to my grandma's every Sunday for tea. She was rather a victorian lady.
    Things I remember about her:-
    *a very hairy chin.
    *having to eat bread and butter with tinned fruit salad
    * her quaint refusal to use her bathroom as she insisted on still using her tin bath.
    *Her white hair done up in a bun.
    *her long navy dresses.
    *she always used to dunk her bread and butter in her tea.
    *if her false teeth got uncomfortable she would take them out at the teatable.

and I am honestly not that old either!1

4. I have very fond memories of all of my grandparents.

I remember old-fashioned 'parlour' style games at Christmas.
    I remember what a great cook my grandma was. Especially cake-baking.
    How we weren't allowed a biscuit at tea-time until we'd had at least two slices of bread and butter.
    Grandma's aga with roast dinner cooking within.
    Grandad's vegetable garden.
    Feeling scared when staying the night in their (very 50's style) spare room
    My grandma's larder and its smell!

So many lovely memories. Nice thread, thank you :)

5. oooh you have reminded me about the height of luxury, tinned pears with evaporated milk at tea time

6. Yeah, fond memories. My gran used to give us black and white pudding which i loved until someone told what it was. Also she made the best apple pies which looked awful but tasted delicious, and she always gave me 10p pocket money on a Friday night. After 25 years or so I still think of them and would love them to still be alive.

7. My grandma used to wear a hat with a hatpin stuck in it ... used to think it went through her head as a child.

The only time she was without it was when she was at home.

Oh and she always wore an apron.

8. Oh yes miss mine too, especially remember the food. A meal would have to include

Fresh bread from loaf cut with knife to perfection, with real butter
    Fresh veggies from garden lovely new potatoes or tomatoes or beetroot.
    Evaporated milk, tinned pears or strawberries
    Fizzy drinks , such a treat!
    Tinned cornbeef or ham
    She made a mean rich pudding with lots of skin on the top.

9. I remember my grandfather telling me he married my grandmother because all the other blokes were killed in the rush. She taught me how to clean window properly. My other grandfather called us his "weans"; he taught me how to cook porridge. Warm, wonderful people. I do miss them even now.

10. My Grandma use to bake ... never used a recipe ... it was a handful of this and two handfuls of that ... tasted heavenly.

11. Oh yes and never saw her without a pinny/apron even if she wasnt cooking or cleaning except on very special occasions

12. My grandma used to make incredibly boozy sherry trifles, she loved to watch the wrestling, loved chocolate buy alway professed that she didn't! My other grandma had a fabulous great iron stove in her kitchen, a front parlour which we never went in and she would always give me lucozade to drink. I remember picking pears off her pear tree which grew up the side of her house.

You're right it is the little things you remember.

Happy innocent days! I'm remembering all sorts of things now. I hope my children have similar memories. It also makes me wonder whether they see enough of their grandparents...Good thread madwoman!

13. I got my dancing genes from my Grandad. He taught me to waltz by standing me on his feet. xx

14. I ma very lucky to still have one of my grandparents - she has reached the garnd old age of 95, and I hope she has many more birthdays.

She is truly the nicest, most generous person you could ever wish to meet and I adore her.

She's had a tough life, like so many others of her generation.

She is fair and open minded and I have never heard her criticise anyone - and that is the truth.

There are so many little memories.

On a Sunday night we used to have tea in her kitchen - in a little hosue that her and my grandfather built by the sea, out of an old blacksmith's.

My sister had salmon sandwiches and a tin of coke and I had apple with sugar on, toast and a tin of fanta. Her toast was the best.

She made mum and dad salad and they ate at the dining table. The tea she brewed always smelt gorgeous and she was always happy.

She was always please to sse us - always - she is so special and now my kids will remember her too.

15. One grandma .. we used to go her OAP flat everyday Saturday lunch for fish n chips, i used to mix my fish up with ketchup so it was a mush, and she always always used to make my cuppa like ink. Same grandma was the first dead body i saw at the parlour, all i remember is her huge nostrils!

We lived with my other grandparents for a while, every sunday morning step grandad would go down into the back yard whre there were about 30 or so rabbits. i'd pass him the rolling pin and he would smash ones head to bits, gran would then skin it and roast it for dinner.

16. mixu...what is it about grandmothers ...they always wore aprons :)

17. oh and both had that, hmm i dunno what its called..like a runner in the hallway that was made of clearish plastic..did it used to be in fashion 20 yrs ago?

18. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I suppose I'm lucky in the fact that all of my grandparents are still alive (I'm 28) and I spent a lot of time with them when I was little - only grandchild and all that...

* Grandma teaching me how to make pastry - she does the best ruffpuff in the world!
    * Going to Sunday school and church with the every week - I never 'believed' but it was nice all the same
    * Grandad playing hymns on the organ after Sunday dinner and us singing along

I'm going to add some memories of my great-nanny as well (bless her - she lived 'til she was 98)
    She was a real Victorian, quite staunch but got a bit more loose tongued about her past in her old age ;o)

* Always used to wear a pinny
    * The Front Room was only ever used on Christmas day - or for visitors
    * used to make me eat beef dripping on toast - yuck!
    * She refused to own a TV, and only had the wireless (not the radio!) on once a week for the morning service on Radio 4, but even then, she refused to touch it and grandad had to go round and tune it!
    * Her sitting there and knitting dolls clothes, when asked what she was doing she said 'they're for all them boy little black boys in Africa' (she was doing them for a charity appeal after a famine or something) As a family, we still laugh about loads of kids sweating in the African heat wearing knitted dolls clothes in lurid florecsent colours!

19. cursed

cursed New commenter

My grandma always used to make us watch the flying doctors while we waited for my mum too pick us up (she's a teacher too!) and to stop us complaining she would give us iced buns! Mine would be pink.

I also remember in primary school we had to ask our grandparents about life during the war- was amazing to find the tape about a year ago- andhear my gran and grandad talking about their lives.

20. My Nan always had a plate of french fancies on the kitchen worktop. They were never covered and the icing was always hard.

whenever I eat one now they don't taste the same without the crunchy icing LOL