1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Membership of RSC

Discussion in 'Science' started by alixir, Feb 23, 2011.

1. I am hoping to embark on a career as a chemistry teacher in the next couple of years and I'd really appreciate a little advice about RSC membership.

I was wondering what chemistry teachers think about the benefits of joining the RSC. I've had a quick look at the RSC website and so have a general idea of the benefits, but what are the benefits that teachers specifically find useful?

I'd appreciate views of current teachers as to whether they think the membership fee is worth the benefits.

Thanks,

A

2. I am hoping to embark on a career as a chemistry teacher in the next couple of years and I'd really appreciate a little advice about RSC membership.

I was wondering what chemistry teachers think about the benefits of joining the RSC. I've had a quick look at the RSC website and so have a general idea of the benefits, but what are the benefits that teachers specifically find useful?

I'd appreciate views of current teachers as to whether they think the membership fee is worth the benefits.

Thanks,

A

3. I don't think it gives any direct benefit to being a teacher. If you feel strongly about being represented by a professional body in your subject, then join it. My OH is in the RSC so I see the magazine each month and have access to any offers the members may have, should I want to use them for my teaching - which I've not so far. I pass the old magazines on to my HOD or sixth formers if any of them want them, rather than just putting them into the recycling bin.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

RSC was quite expensive when I was younger so couldn't affort to join.
    They send education in chemistry free to every secondary school already. They do in fact offer many benefits to teachers already, without membership being necessary.
    Way back in the early optimistic days of Nu-Labour, their guidance for getting through the threshold was more useful than anything produced by the organisations I'd paid to join (like ATL).
    P

5. Thanks for the feedback; it has been really useful.

Alixir

6. Some of the best CPD courses I have been on were run by RSC. Cheap rates for members so there may be a chance to negotiate for your school to let you go on a course that might otherwise be too expensive.
    I have been a member of RSC for over thirty years and, to be honest, have sometimes considered whether or not it is good value. On balance, I have always decided to carry on.

7. Membership for student teachers is much cheaper than full membership + getting the magazine each month is a good way of keeping up with your subject. I think if you are serious about the subject, you should join, it is also on the hmrc list of allowable professional bodies so membership fees are tax deductible.
    Even if you do not join, the RSC website is easily the best resourch I found during my training. The education part has a vast amount of useful resources, including links to other useful sites.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Do they, I am my school's only chemistry teacher and I have never seen it.

9. I would go to the RSC to check but I think you only get their stuff if the school is a member.

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

We used to get Education in chemistry long before we got our sixth formers into chemnet. AFAIK we did not join anything. Not sure how you get on the mailing list though!

P