1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meetings meetings and more meetings..... fair?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by chubbyone, Jan 13, 2019.

1. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

Meetings in dinnertime, acceptable or not? Meetings after school other than the weekly staff meetings? Meetings before school 3 times a week?

Looking at the calendar for this term already emails have been sent for as well as the staff meeting we have on a Thursday,
    Before school meeting Monday and Wednesday, one whole school one in key stage.
    Meeting after school on Wednesday for next 3 weeks to share good examples of work.
    Lunchtime meeting in key stage to discuss policies - new thing they want to bring in so scheduled for each week for the term.

On top of this all staff to do an extra curricular club (have to admit I have forgot to reply to that email)

I assume all this would come under directed time and have to be added to the hours as not to go over?

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Have a chat with your union - not the school rep!

install, tall tales and agathamorse like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with post #2.

But I'd add up all the hours being demanded first and see if 1265 is being ignored.

4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

You could make an offer for an extra curricular club that no one in their right mind would attend and schedule that slot for marking. (Whilst totting up the 1254 hours of course)

Who is arranging for example the after school book scrutiny? Let's guess....someone polishing up their contribution to school improvement plan? Why not suggest that books be left in a secure area for interested people to 'nip in' at their leisure to scrutinise and a resource left in there for people to comment centrally?

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ask for your personal directed-time budget. Then you'll know.

6. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

You can't be obliged to attend a lunch time meeting.

7. gadgetgirl123

gadgetgirl123 Occasional commenter

Why not? Legal requirements are a 20 minute break in 6 hours, so as long as it leaves at least 20 minutes free, then I don't see the issue with lunch time meetings.

Lunch time is better than after school!!

caterpillartobutterfly and nomad like this.
  8. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

They can if you have breaks longer than 20 minutes in the school day. I had that chat when my old head used to do working lunchtime meetings. You could take your lunch with you. The reasoning was that breaktime was 15 minutes long therefore we were only entitled to 5 minutes of uninterrupted lunch.

I was lucky that i wasn't senior enough to get caught by this very often.

9. Robfreeman

Not if you have a full day with science practicals thrown in as you dont have time to get them set for the afternoon.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'd hope any Union worth its salt would see that "reasoning" (I use the word very loosely) off PDQ...:mad:

tall tales, Piscean1 and agathamorse like this.
  11. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

That Head was an idiot. Break time is directed time and at our place you may well be doing break duty with not even time for the loo. The lunch break is the only break you can guarentee getting. Doesn't STPCD state " lunch break of reasonable length between 12 noon and 2pm?

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

1265 actually, but I guess it was a typo.

Alternatively, run a club which required no actual work when taking place. For years I ran a Film Club and used the time for marking.

13. gadgetgirl123

I am a science teacher.

On one day of the week, I have a morning meeting, break duty, and full day of teaching, lunch time department meeting then a short meeting after school.

I just make sure there is no practical on that afternoon!!

agathamorse and (deleted member) like this.
  14. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

Thanks for your responses.
    I have looked at the NUT guidelines regarding directed time and meetings etc. Thought it best before contacting them.
    In regards to dinnertime you are meant to have a lunch break of reasonable time between 12 and 2. It also says that meetings should not happen during lunchtime.
    In regards to meetings they are to be included in 1265 hours.
    The sharing of good practice is not a book scrutiny but teachers from each year group talking about what they do in a specific area of learning. You are correct as well, the member of staff calling this additional meeting is in charge of this area in school and it's part of her monitoring.

I think a call to the regional office might well be in order.

15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Yep-that's the way!
    Meditation club Friday after school.
    Tumbleweed.

16. Robfreeman

Are you the HoD?

17. Robfreeman

We did lunch duties there to and break duties. I think back at the time i didnt like it i see why he did it and it allowed for rapid changes to take place.

The STPCD doesnt have to be followed as ive learnt as subsequent work places even when they say they do bits are changed. sadly as long as they follow employment law you have no comebacks.

I also learnt that you have no employment rights for the first six months and they can pretty much make you do anything and threaten to terminate your contract for no reason.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Our new HT has cut right back on meetings

In my long experience of teaching - 99% of meetings are totally unproductive.

19. gadgetgirl123

No! I value my life too much!

agathamorse likes this.
  20. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Our Head can't go for longer than half an hour without having a fag, so our staff meetings are usually done and dusted by 4pm. We only have one a week, and never in the same week as Parents Evening or a school play. The OP's meetings schedule sounds bonkers.