1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meeting to discuss flexi work application whilst off sick

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by alissl, Mar 6, 2019.

1. alissl

alissl New commenter

Hi,

I have been off sick since Jan due to stress linked with work load, my TT, etc.
    Two weeks in I suffered a blood clot so have been both physically and mentally unwell.

I have had 1 meeting in Feb which I asked for and thought was to discuss reducing my hours but it was HR going through my 'stress questionnaire' and basically telling me that my grievances - such as marking load - were 'in my contract' etc. I had my union rep with me and was in tears by the end of it. I asked to reduce my teaching days to three (I currently do four) and was given a flexible working request form.

I filled it in and added my medical records to show the medication I take for DVT.
    I have been waiting for weeks to hear anything, phoning up and was eventually told by HR that the meeting would be taking place soon between the Head and his Line Manager (I work at an Academy as part of the college.) I was asked if I was happy for it to go ahead without me?

My question is - do you think that it would benefit me to attend or will it not achieve anything?
    I am aware that I became extremely upset by the end of the last one.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

• Let's say you attend. How much will you fret in advance of the meeting?
    • Let's say you DON'T attend. How much will you fret in advance of the meeting?
    PLUS:

you go to the meeting and there may well be ample opportunity to get upset again BUT it might be very supportive and reassuring WHEREAS not going means you don't risk a melt-down but you could miss out on some useful interaction

What can you add at a meeting? You want 3 days. You've made that plain.

So, if I were you, I'd let them go ahead without me but I'd ask them to read an impassioned letter I'd written in addition to looking through my form. Make it crystal clear that it's 3 days or you'll basically implode. Let them meet, hope they'll rubber-stamp the 3 days. If they don't? Then Plan B.

But work on the assumption that Plan A will be approved. Don't go.

agathamorse and alissl like this.
  3. alissl

alissl New commenter

Thanks - you're right. I've already emailed my union rep so will wait to see what he says, but the letter is a good idea.

agathamorse likes this.