1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meeting the parents

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cyolba, May 28, 2011.

1. Neutral but smart. Don't go in a mankini.

cyolba, helpful as ever :)

2. Just wear what you would normally wear for a nice pub meal. Be yourself. The first time my boyfriends mum met me I was in my clubbing gear!

3. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I'd say the same. Smart casual and comfortable.

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

5. thanks for the advice - my thoughts are my smart skinny jeans, a nice top (probably the floral type they sell in Next) and some sandals.

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

Wear a big smile.

7. guinnesspuss

Sounds good to me, and the smile.
    How about trainers? Then if she turns up in chav wear you can run for the hills!!

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

As a member of the older generation I know what we like
    Frocks. We all grew up with frocks.
    [​IMG]

9. guinnesspuss

As a member of the older generation I only ever wear trousers for smart and work and jeans for everything else. I decided I'd like to be a bit more stylish and wore a dress for a wedding evening reception recently; I felt fairly uncomfortable, which is what you don't want to feel on an informal occasion.

10. I'd go in a smart casual outfit. I've never had to face this particular situation before as my boyfriend is an orphan and has been since the age of 2 and he's the only man that it would have ever got to the meeting the parents stage. He does have an auntie that brought him up but I haven't met her yet as she lives in his country of origin which is halfway across the world. However, from speaking to friends and relatives who have done the whole meeting the parents thing, smart casual is always the way to go.