1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meeting pupils who are skiving and...

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by aypi, Feb 24, 2020.

1. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

It was 15 mins before lunch and I was going out of the school, there were two s2 pupils standing outside the school on the road that goes past it. I challenged them about not being in class, did not get much of a response. I continued on my errand and phoned the school to see where they should be. They had skived most of the morning. On my return they were still there. It was by now just about lunch time. I attempted to tell them both to get back to school. One was "No I'm waiting for my friends" the other I told to go for his lunch, at least he would be back in the building. The other refused to budge.
    Now the question, what can be done with the pupils who just blank refuse to cooperate whilst truanting?
    Can any agency do anything?

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Tbh, "what can be done?" is nothing. We rely on pupils' cooperation and if they choose not to there's nothing that can be done, immediately at any rate.

If they were out all morning then they're probably the type of pupils you don't want in school anyway: sorry, but it's true.

Most I would have done, if anything, was to let PC know and let them "deal" with it, which is probably extracting a promise never, ever, ever to do that again. It's PC's job anyway, isn't it? That's what the promoted salary is for.

Agencies? Dunno, but whatever agency it should be would claim to have done their bit, no doubt after some finger-wagging.

It's certainly not a teaching responsibility.

aypi likes this.
  3. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Bigjimmy2, I think you speak the truth, but no-one will say it officially.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  4. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

If they're actually off the premises then I seem to recall that police can be called, though I think that would need to be a school decision.

5. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

6. bigjimmy2

WitchFingers likes this.
  7. WitchFingers

WitchFingers New commenter

Just need to be more nurturing Aypi
    Nurture is all we need

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  8. bigjimmy2

I thought it was love . . .

9. Gavster77

Gavster77 Occasional commenter

If it's a situation outside the school gates, no non promoted teacher should be involved. Don't react to such pupils but go fetch a senior manager to report what you witnessed.

You have no locus there. What if they had reacted aggressively to you? Always fetch a manager if its something outside the gates.

bigjimmy2 likes this.