1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meeting Core Standards

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by evilpixie, Aug 14, 2011.

1. I was just wondering if NQTs have to produce a folder of C Standards evidence at the end of their NQT just like during ITT?
    I'm starting a full time but temporary post in Sept which may only be 1 term long so need to be prepared from the start!

Any advice welcome

Kim

2. I was just wondering if NQTs have to produce a folder of C Standards evidence at the end of their NQT just like during ITT?
    I'm starting a full time but temporary post in Sept which may only be 1 term long so need to be prepared from the start!

Any advice welcome

Kim

3. Caroline_p3

Caroline_p3 New commenter

I did have to keep a folder like i did for QTS, bit less detail but still a double lever arch folder full of evidence!

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The format and approach does depend on the school but it is good practice to identify the key evidence to show you are meeting standards. It also comes into play if there are any queries about induction and what you are achieving

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Will this mean those of us who have a term left to complete will need to rearrange current evidence files to meet the new standards (if I ever get another post that is...!) [​IMG] Thanks x

6. I was wondering what you meant by this? Do you mean evidence from, for example, your day to day lessons that met the core standards you put in the file? Or just lessons you thought worked well etc?

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The new standards will not apply until Sept 2012 so any assessments are based on the current standards. The format and requirement of what you need to do varies from school to school and the main rule is to make sure you do what they want. The evidence should be in the main arising out of the processes of; planning ,teaching, assessing and reviewing your work -so planning documents, courses attended etc becomes the main sources of evidence.

8. I had a table with the core standards on them. In first column was the standard. Second column was the date and the third coloum was what I did to meet that standard.
    So for example, C7 05/06/2011 Feedback from NQT lesson observation and conversation with mentor that highlights good reflective practice.
    This statement was then highlighted yellow as it came from my lesson observations. Had I then been asked to produce that evidence I could have gone straight to the obervation paperwork and found it.
    Obviously I didn't highlight in black, these were just left in black ink. An example of this might have been:
    C15 22/05/2001 INSET - Maths training. What does a good maths learning look like?
    In all fairness I could have highlighted stuff from my CPD log in red, but on reading this I would know straightaway this was in my CPD log.
    No one asked as there was no requirement to keep evidence, however, this 'list' or log did help my mentor when she came to do an observation or write my assessment paperwork because we could see where I hadn't been able to identify something (didn't mean I hadn't met the standard just couldn't always think of something to put).
    As I said, if anyone wants a copy I have it electronically so you can see how it works and amend it to use yourself.

9. Hi,
    Great idea about core standards table! Can I trouble you for an electronic copy?
    Thank you very much.

10. Thanks for this!

11. Thanks for all the replies that's been really helpful!
    I got my job very late so still don't have teaching details, timetable etc (get them tomorrow I hope!) so it's nice to have something to worry about!!

:)
    Kim

12. Portfolios or folders of evidence are not required for induction, but some LAs do insist on them in whioch case the NQT should follow the LA guidance. I recommend keeping a portfolio as the induction year should be based on more than just the six statutory observations - much good work is missed and some aspects of the standards cannot be 'observed' in lessons.
    Remember also that as you progress in teaching promotion now increasingly looks for portfolio evidenceof your work and achievements, so starting now is no bad thing.
    James

13. Bobb carrot I have sent you a pm about your format. Thanks. :)

14. Have replied and sent to everyone who emailed me. There are a few of these on the TEB resources website. I will add mine to my resources too. I think it is just about finding a way of recording that works for you :)

15. Where I was, we had to complete a folder for evidence, so at the end of the year our Induction Tutor would go through it and be able to sign it off.
    I created a booklet with a page for each standard so I could record what evidence I had and the location of the evidence. It helped me prove whether I had met the standards or not.
    I can send copies of the blank proforma if people want. Just PM me.