1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

meet and greeting school I'm going to be teaching in September

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by scienceteacher11, Jun 23, 2011.

1. scienceteacher11

scienceteacher11 New commenter

What should I do to make a great 1st impression, I know people say 'be yourself' but to what extent is this true?! Im just very nervous because I have been a ta for a year but haven't taught, ill be training on the job at this school for 2 years so these first impressions are crucial!
    also in terms of the children..is it bad to smile and look friendly as i will be disciplining them in September, the phrase 'don't smile till xmas comes to mind'

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Yes, you need to be yourself. But you can set expectations by focusing on the learning that you are hoping the children will be doing.
    P

3. Offer to wash the tea cups, and you will instantly be a hit! lol But in all seriousness, I think just seeming genuinely interested in the school and the people you will be working with is the best way to be. Be yourself!