1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mediums/Pyschics

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Anonymous, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Lurk knows what people are going to say next. I think that huevosrancheros will be on here soon telling us that he can see future events, especially 'big' ones.

2. I haven't had any experiences with psychics or mediums, but I can often "see" future events which come true, often on a big scale. I am also super sensitive to things like body language, and know when a person is lying, but that is just an earthly skill.
    The worst thing I saw was the killing of all those kids in the hold up in Russia/ ex Russian territory a few years back now when they were all held and then many killed via extremists.
    I can't explain why I knew, I just did.
    I also knew the night my mother in law would have a heart attack.
    Some people are super sensitive. I think it is more to do with the brain than anything supenatural.
    Anyway, you can put me down as doubtful now, but it is true. I have often predicted and acted on afore knowledge that is otherwise unexplained to my own benefit.
    Prepare the stake now!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have been to several meetings over the years. The mediums usually conjure up people with ordinary names and obvious attributes before asking the audience if anyone knows anyone like that who has 'passed over'. Eg ' I am getting a man called Reg. He is looking for a close relative. He's grey and balding. Does that mean anything to anyone?' etc. I even once blew £100 I got for writing an article for TES on visiting a psychic called Owen Potts in Vauxhall. He told me that I shouldn't keep thinking about moving house because I never would. So I stopped even considering it!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Can you tell me tomorrow's lottery results then, please?
    When my mother died in her own home at 2.25am in the company of her sister, my aunt, I woke up at that very moment in my house and knew that she was dying. But I reckon this is down to some kind of energy waves.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Every Friday I envisage two days of relaxation and being in control of my own lunch-time, this has uncannily been accurate for years.
    On the other hand I don't believe in birth signs or astrology - I'm a typical Libran like that.

blueskydreaming, colpee and Jamvic like this.
  6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

So you warned her and advised she chew an asprin and go to the nearest hospital?

7. I'm going for a private reading. I'd really struggle to believe anything with a large audience as the chances are it'd be relevant to someobody on the audience!
    I'm intrigued though - I've never been through anything particularly stressful as many others who visit mediums have, other than losing my grandparents which is part of the natural flow of life. It will be interesting to see if she fabricates dramatic events etc in the past of my fairly average life!

8. I saw a psychic/tarot reader once

He told me I worked in the medical field (I was a medical receptionist at the time, studying my music teaching degree by distance ed

He told me he saw a certificate with "Distinctions' on it...... that was news to me... my results didn't arrive until a few days after I'd seen him! (And yes, did have distinctions)

He told me that he could see me in the future in a new building surrounded by lots of children.....yep! Our school is quite a new building, and I'm certainly surrounded by kids!

I also had my palm read by a woman that i'd met years before this.... she said that I had a strong creative line, but that it was broken. I said yes, I'd been a full-time musician, but my shoulders packed up, and I couldn't play anymore. She said that my line didn't end, that it was just broken, and my creative streak would take off in a totally different direction in my early 40's.... which strangely enough was when I was doing my music teaching degree. At the time of the reading I was severely crippled in both shoulders and believed I'd never play again.

She also told me that I'd had two serious relationships in my time, and would have a third. I said that was unlikely as I'd just got married. That marriage didn't work out, and I've been with OH for eight years now....

I think there are some people who can 'see' things. I've dreamt of things that later happen in real life. Nothing major like a previous poster, but it's happened. i think it's a Scottish thing!

9. Um, do you not think someone who makes a living out of this sort of thing would be happy to subscribe?

10. He told you three things which all "came true"? Or was it that he told you ten things and you remember the three which later occurred?

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have certain phsyic gifts.......i can sense things good and bad, i can forsee some events and indeed recognise talents in some folk...particulay young children.........but i use them cautiously and they are not meditated....just sort of arrive/

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My great great grandfather was a music hall entertainer for much of his long life, and in his latter years caused some mischief exposing theatrical pyschics by revealing their stage tricks in public. He clearly had no time for them as paid entertainers, probably because he'd spent his life developing the physical skills of creating illusions, ventriloquism and conjuring tricks, and maybe saw them as mere confidence tricksters.

I think a lot of it today is trickery based on the law of averages, and basic lifestyle statistics. For example, if you tell someone in their 50s 'I can see that you've lost someone recently' there's a fair chance they have. If you tell an 18 year old 'I can see changes coming - you'll probably move house soon', there's a fair chance that they will. In hindsight, the more gullible will say that the psychic predicted it. It's like Nostradamus - if you wait long enough something will eventually happen that can be interpreted in hindsight as a Nostradamus prediction.

That said, I keep an open mind on genuine paranormal stuff - some of it defies explanation. I'm an avid reader of 'Fortean Times'.

13. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I was staying with my cousins one weekend and started to read their palms for a bit of a laugh, after a while my uncle asked for his to be read as well.
    When I saw his hand I went quiet- it clearly showed a catastrophic break in his life line. I advised him to take care of his health, and that it was possible that he could have a serious accident very soon. He took my advice seriously even though he was a rather happy go lucky sort of man. He took out a life insurance policy, went to the doctor for a blood pressure check- nothing serious was found.
    Within 6 months of that palmn reading he had a heart attack, he was 34yrs old. Fortunately his life insurance paid out substantial sum so that at least his children and wife had a comfortable life.
    BPG

14. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

But airy, I'm not talking about things the family already knew. It was an awful case and so in a way I don't want to dwell on it, but it was things like: where the man who was involved lived (he was not local) where he grew up (again, not a local man and some distance from where the family lived) the vehicle used, the other victims. That sort of stuff. It wasn't the "man with grey hair driving a red car" type of descrption - really specific stuff.
    I think "true" psychics are very rare indeed but I also am positive this one at least was genuine.

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I've had one of those since I was a child, my grandmother first pointed it out to me over 40 years ago, fortunately she was sceptical too.

16. Well, I'm back! The whole thing was terribly disappointing.
    She was in a rush, did 15 minute readings and charged us £30 each for the priveledge and had ran out of tapes to record the readings. She also had a 'friend' helping who was in the living room with us the entire time..hmmm!
    A couple of people had accurate readings, but mine was ridiculous.
    She kept making guesses at things and when I said "No" she would simply say "Well, look out for that." The only things she got right were my birth Month, and said that my job involved authority and sometimes I wanted to tear my hair out (But she had just done readings for 5 other teachers!). She also said my grandad had come through and said it was my mothers father, and said he had died suddenly which is all true but again not at all unusual for someone of my age to have lost a grandfather. She linked him with daisychains and flat caps, neither of which fit.
    Apparently I want my back garden decked (I dont.) and am going to re-do my kitchen and bathroom (I am. In about 20 years when I've got the cash!). Im also going to have two children, have a leak in the house, and one of the cats is going to have problems with its ears. Oh, apparently I'm going on a long haul flight to sharm el sheik too (I've never harboured any desire to go there!). And I have a link to Scotland, which I dont.
    So I am not in the slightest bit convinced, but enjoyed the experience!

17. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

that made me laugh

18. It went like this:
    "Do you have a pet?"
    "Yes."
    "I see two."
    "No, I have three cats."
    "Is one of them not around very much?"
    "He goes outside a lot."
    "One of them has problem with his ears."
    "Nope."
    ".....Look out for that."

19. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

How on earth could anyone take this nonsense seriously?
    In my youth I was eager to maintain an open mind on the mysteries of life and dabbled in Jungian stuff and the conscious unconscious 'revealed' through tarot. Utter c rap it was.
    We are made of solid matter and aren't intended to access the other dimensions around us while we are alive.
    Too often people delude themselves as an avoidance of the rather hard and solid realities of life and the need to work hard and look after ourselves and others.

20. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

LoL! [​IMG]