1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Medium Term plans??

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sillysausage21, Mar 20, 2012.

1. sillysausage21

sillysausage21 New commenter

Does anybody simply not have medium term plans?! My head has asked for fresh copies of all long/medium term plans...however I have ended up not really using MTPs. I find I am changing my planning and following the interests/needs of the children. Therefore after the first term I found it was pointless to put on a MTP that I would be covering that objective in that week...when in reality it won't happen then at all! How does everyone else get round this?

2. I'm the same. I did a pirate topic just after Christmas that I hadn't planned to do. I find I do an old fashioned sort of topic web (that i used to do at Uni years ago) and plan under the differents points and then put my learning objectives more specifically into my weekly plans.
    Yesterday lunchtime I had a quick look at our pond and it was teeming with frogs and frogspawn so, planning was abandoned and off we all went to look at the pond and all activities changed for the afternoon!
    Lou

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

[​IMG]

4. sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah New commenter

We have long and med' plans that are skills based so can adapt to interest.

5. hurny

hurny New commenter

My MTP is a sort of action plan based on a review of the previous term.
    I look at the EYFSP points each term to see where the common gaps are in the aspects of each area of learning and put the aspects I need to focus on into one section, noting specific children. I will use this to inform my STP.
    Another section is a review of the learning areas, which ones I will need to focus more on.
    Another section comes from the review of the learning environment, in there I will put the changes I plan to make....e.g. improve the outdoor area to ensure more opportunities for CD.
    I have a section for the special events/festivals we will cover.
    A section for daily routines, noting any changes.
    I make no reference to topics as these are led by the children.
    In this way, the MTP is a working document which I can refer to when doing STP to ensure I am covering the next steps in the children's learning, but also considering the children's interests.
    I have a copy of one in my resources.

6. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

i do use mtp for the objectives i want children to achieve but I deliver them through childrens interest. so im not tied down by topic.
    i can send u a copy if you want

7. salus123

salus123 New commenter

hi could you send it to me too please?

8. catd43

catd43 New commenter

Hi could you send me a copy too please

9. funkyfairy2004

funkyfairy2004 New commenter