1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Medium term planning for olympics!

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by mr_free_sat, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for fun RE lessons centered around the Olympics. Ive thought of the values, overcoming adversity etc its just im struggling to create any ideas at the mo|!
    Any help would be appreciated!

2. Does anyone have any suggestions for fun RE lessons centered around the Olympics. Ive thought of the values, overcoming adversity etc its just im struggling to create any ideas at the mo|!
    Any help would be appreciated!

3. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

Why assume that the Olympics are a good thing?
    Will Self has characterised the London Olympics as consisting of nothing more than capital chasing capital.
    Not sure how you would get a lesson out of that, though.
    One of my cleverer Year 8's was the one to start me reflecting on this. He thinks that Tom Daley is a borderline obsessive and that this kind of perfectionism should be discouraged.

4. 576

576 Established commenter

Why not try something based on Matthew 20v16 ?[​IMG]

5. As an old grouch, today I am mostly looking forward to the closing ceremony.

However, if we have to contribute to this errant nonsense (despite all of our other targets etc.) then how about Matthew 25:14-30

6. Try looking at what Muslim athletes do at Ramadan, as this is during the olympic period, athletes that won't run/perform on a Sunday. If you go on smsc online they are also some good olympic planning there.

7. With respect, I've heard this lesson idea 'Look at the problems Muslim athletes face during Ramadan' several times. My perspective is a) they probably wouldn't see it as a problem but as a challenge and b) it's surely not fuel for a whole lesson. I'm more interested in Olympic values etc.