1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mediocre or too much baggage?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by wrldtrvlr123, Mar 22, 2011.

1. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

That is quite a bit of baggage for a school to take on. I have met overseas teachers with as much, but not many (and most acquired some of that baggage after getting overseas positions). You would be in a better position to decide whether your credentials, experience and areas of expertise are mediocre. If you give details, I'm sure you will get some informed opinions.
    The situation may not be hopeless. Also, you may get a position where the school only pays for a part of tuition, airfare etc.

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

You'd have to be very special to get a foot in the door, or go for a school that doesn't offer flights or other expenses for family.

3. ImmodestyBlaise

ImmodestyBlaise New commenter

Well I think I'm pretty special! (Immodesty is my first name.) I've been applying for Primary ICT posts for which I'm well experienced, having taught ICT to all primary ages, coordinated ICT in three schools, and I regularly run ICT training sessions for staff in dozens of primary schools. But I just mustn't be special enough.

I've toyed with the idea of leaving my family behind, but, the trouble is, over the years I've grown rather fond of them.

4. Don't give up. I have a trailing spouse and two dependants. I carefully selected the schools I applied to looking for non profit organisations who pride themselves on offering the best (mind you don't they all say that?) and most of which clearly advertised their general package. If it included details about allowances for families and dependants' schooling then I assumed they were not frightened off by my situation. I applied to 11 and got 8 offers for interview. Then again I only have two ankle biters.