1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Medieval pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jan 3, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35197493

A former physics teacher has completed a 700-year-old pilgrim's journey using only medieval clothing and equipment.

Steven Payne began walking from Southampton's Mayflower Park to Canterbury on 16 December, carrying a goodwill message from the Pope.

The 52-year-old slept in his cloak, sometimes in fields and hedgerows or in structures built in medieval times.

He was greeted by the mayor of Canterbury and canon of the cathedral when he arrived on Tuesday afternoon.

As a Medieval historian I admire this guy... and kind of envy him.

[​IMG]

Must have been a hell of an experience to be able to throw off the shackles of modern life [except for social media, always with the social media!]

Even the Pope got on board.

[​IMG]

magic surf bus likes this.
  2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

He described the pilgrimage as a "great experience".
    "It clears your mind and allows you to take a long look at who you are and what you are doing," he said.

I think it's important that we find opportunities to do that in life.

lanokia likes this.
  3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

But did they do pilgrimmages in winter? How did he avoid the cutpurses, vagabonds, beggars, and lepers?

4. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

You mean the muggers? :( Probably because he had nothing worth selling. ;)
    He has been so lucky with the winter weather this year, probably the only one to feel the benefit of warmer weather, although I dare say sleeping and walking in the rain wasn't so great.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

How very Ellis Peters of him.

Those gloves don't look 'period' to me. Not sure about the footwear.

Scrooge lives!

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I wonder if that was a real knife in his belt.

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

There's something very self indulgent about this. I suppose many pilgrimages were. "Sometimes" in fields or medieval structures presumably means he also sometimes slept in places with copy beds and hot running water.

Lascarina and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

We stayed in Conques in France some years ago and saw some pilgrims making their way to the Abbey-Church of St Foy there. They weren't in medieval dress or anything like that but had walked many miles to get there. I admire, in some ways, their dedication to their faith.
    If you haven't been to Conques and are passing that way then I can recommend a stop off, it's magical.
    [​IMG]

magic surf bus likes this.
  10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Another bit of attention seeking. If he wanted to do it, why didn't he just get on with it without involving the media?

11. Vince_Ulam

Makes a change from all these massively sponsored middle-class 'explorers' yachting backwards and forwards to previously explored locations.

lexus300 likes this.
  12. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I bet he has kids.
    After a Christmas holiday with my brood, camping out in the undergrowth under nothing but a cloak seems like a luxurious opportunity to get a bit of peace and quiet, well away from small people who appear to walk round my house solely for the purpose of turning on all the lights and slamming all the doors and spreading bits of lego across the carpet.

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I'd rather have the guy in the cloak (awfully pristine-looking for someone who's been sleeping under bushes) than Bear Grylls.

lexus300 likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

Detective @coffeekid is on the case.

I would have to suppose he posed for the shot BEFORE setting off???

Otherwise? Fraud!

15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'd rather have a frog in a gymslip than Bear Grylls who is totally barking and who makes me feel sick.

16. Vince_Ulam

That cowl looks horribly itchy.

17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

It probably was a "before" shot, but it was more fun to comment on his suspiciously-not-covered-in-**** outfit.

18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I hope you aren't suggesting he was going to wipe his bum on his cloak! A cloacal cloak- tee hee.

grumpydogwoman and coffeekid like this.
  19. grumpydogwoman

Once a physics teacher. Hmm. He looks like 'one of those'.

(Those colleagues who bore you to tears.)

20. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Having once stayed in a B&B in mid shropshire which was close to the Offas Dyke path route and encountered someone who was obviously walking the route but not arranged changes of clothes I guess he must have "pen and inked", a fair bit.