1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Medical Retirement and compromise aggreements

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by AdmiralNelson, Feb 24, 2012.

  1. AdmiralNelson

    AdmiralNelson New commenter

    If your Union rep is the school or even local area rep, you may want to go a bit higher up the chain of command to get the specialist advice you need.

    Good luck.
  2. Thanks for your comments - it all seems to be sorted now.
    I couldn't see why a compromise agreement was applicable either but both the local area rep and regional office kept saying it was a possibility!
    Eventually, on Friday my local rep phoned the authority to ask about one only to be told of course that it wasn't possible! I then phoned HR directly and got more sense in 2 minutes with them than the whole time with the union. I'm dropping my application pack this morning and they will dove=tail my pension to the end of half pay so there's no gap in pay. A whole weight has been lifted as I didn't want to have any problems with the school I have loved working at.
    I'm currently composing a letter of complaint to the union for the non response, incorrect information and more stress given and caused by my union. I have wasted many years of subscriptions to the NASUWT - it's been atrocious!
  3. rosievoice

    rosievoice Star commenter

    Substitute NUT for NASUWT, and I sympathise with you.
  4. You can sue the union for a refund of your subscriptions if the advice they provided was sub-standard. It's been done - NUT and a teacher in the Northeast sued and won.
  5. Hi
    Am just about to retire not for the same reason but had to go down ill health route so a few pointers. If you have your own consultant report then this minimises the "opposition" trying to undermine the evidence and actually makes it more like to concur. I am in N.Ireland so see if the same applies with you-i reasonably sure it does. Go for Full incapacity benefit not just being unfit to Teach. You should then be offered enhanced number of years by the Dept of Education. Also there is no reduction in your pension because it is on ill-health grounds-so no 5% per year taken off. This is an agreed procedure so don't know what is meant by compromise and they don't really have a choice here to grant you ill health if you have all the evidence and then you should by sent to Occupational Health for the evidence to be confirmed which should then be rubber-stamped by Dept of Education. Get a Senior Union Official at Head office involved and not Local Branch it has more clout. I did this toward the end of 100 full working days so don't delay after which they put you back on 3 months full paid notice and confirm your retirement date

    Hope this helps and remember you have enough to contend with so looking after yourself and forget the ending on a bad note they should be looking after you because as an employer they have a "duty of care" to you which you can use if necessary to retire with dignity

    Good luck and keep fighting. You need more help get back to me


Share This Page