1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Medical for SCITT

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Coughlin1985, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Coughlin1985

Coughlin1985 New commenter

Hello, I have been told by my training provider that all new students require a medical before they start the course in September. I am a type 1 diabetic (27 years) and I am so worried that they will say I can't do the course. Any other diabetics out there who have been through the process and can tell me what to expect?

Thanks

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

No, being a type 1 diabetic won't be a barrier to you doing the course. What it will do is flag up the support you will need to enable you to be successful when you are in school. You will most likely need somewhere to store your insulin and a private place to inject. Some staff training around type 1 diabetes might be needed - particularly what can happen when you have a hypo. This is absolutely not a barrier.

Coughlin1985 likes this.
  3. Coughlin1985

Coughlin1985 New commenter

That makes me feel so much better thank you!

4. Piscean1

Piscean1 Occasional commenter

I've worked with teachers with type 1 diabetes and two of my own teachers at school had diabetes too.

You will be absolutely fine!

Coughlin1985 likes this.