1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Medical for overseas teaching job - Please help :)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by science_bell8, Jun 1, 2018.

  1. science_bell8

    science_bell8 New commenter

    Hello everyone,

    Has anyone got any tips/help/pointers/experience of getting medical tests for overseas teaching jobs they can share with me please? Reason being is I have secured a job overseas (I am very excited about it!!). The only thing I am really struggling with is the medical. I have been sent an extensive list of tests I need to have completed.

    As advised on other threads/internet sites I have read, I have been to my local GP. The GP booked me in for a full physical and blood tests etc and referred me for the chest X ray to check for TB. The NHS hospital has said that they will not do the chest X ray (even when I offered to pay) as it is a pre-employment check and I got sent to the private hospital who want to charge £120 per X ray. I am now concerned that the other tests that the GP has referred me for will also have a large price tag attached. I am not being reimbursed so need costs to be as low as possible.

    So, please can any one help or share their experience? Any help will be truly appreciated :)

    Thanks in advance :)
  2. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Oh dear. Reputable international schools will reimburse all of your visa-related expenses. Cheapskate ones won't. The sensible thing to do is to check on these things before signing your contract.

    If you really want this job, then you really have no choice but to stump up the cash to get all of these medical things done, one way or another. Perhaps you could have gone for a little holiday somewhere in Eastern Europe and had a bargain basement medical. On the other hand, it is probably too late for that now. Bite the bullet and get it all done asap. And yes, there will be other costs too.

    My advice would be to send one of those TES Conversation things to an ancient swamp-dwelling beast that is rumoured to lumber around the TES forum from time to time.
  3. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    if you have the time then i recommend Poland. its cheap and easy to get there. they have great medical facilities, and it will be a fraction of the cost compared to the UK, and that includes the cost of flying. they will also do it all in English for you.

    as the wise old Hippo has pointed out, good schools will full reimburse any of these costs. you obviously are not at one of these schools.
  4. masty88

    masty88 New commenter

    Good to see you back dumbbells, hadn't seen your name pop up on here for a little while & thought that maybe you had retired to your beloved Spain ;) Do all countries require these medicals or is it just the non-European ones?
  5. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    I would retire to Spain in a heartbeat, but i would NEVER work in the hell hole againo_O

    I was always told that its a mixture of visa requirements and medical insurance requests. Ever school i have worked at has asked for one.

Share This Page