1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Medical Check and Certificate

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Newstein, Jun 14, 2019.

  1. Newstein

    Newstein New commenter

    I've learned that before you get a Z visa for China you need to have medical clearance in UK.
    What tests? Which of these are available on NHS?
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. teachtronic

    teachtronic New commenter

    Just recently done a medical for a job in the ME. I cannot say this is relevant to China with certainty but if it's for visa purposes which I assume it is....it cannot be done with the NHS. You must get blood test (to clear you of any communicable diseases such as HIV, HEPATITIS, Syphilis etc) and a chest X ray for TB) All of the above can be offered by private clinics with a fee (approx £3-450) and is a routine process they do all the time.
  3. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    Teachtronic is right - the medicals can't be done on the NHS and you have to pay. You might find that your GP can either do them privately or can point you towards someone who can - maybe contact your nearest private hospital.

    Make sure that your school will reimburse the cost, though.
    576 likes this.
  4. ed717

    ed717 New commenter

    Yep! Be very careful you go to a medical centre with a good reputation and not just the cheapest - when I had to have my medical for going over to Canada to teach for a year, the visa process required I had a chest X ray as well as blood and urine tests.
    Some of these medical practices will tell you there's something wrong when there's not in order to do tests and make more money.
    The doctor told me there was something wrong with the chest X ray and so I had to pay more for more tests...then when I went to a different specialist, he told me that everything was perfectly fine. The British Council (whom I was working for at the time) did not reimburse any costs, so I doubt all international schools will either...

Share This Page