1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Media - waste of time. Make them do languages.

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Mister DRH, Mar 9, 2007.

1. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

Stands back and watches the irony rush way over Mister DRH's head .........

2. "'Der Joghurt mit der Ecke, der Ecke mit was drin!'"

the yoghurt with the edge, the edge with something something???

and no googling honest.

3. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

I know this... is it - "The Milky Bar's are on me!" ?? Is it? Is it?

4. wow. i will start by pointing out that students easily forget the bulk of a language after taking one for gcse, just as they do geography, history, and any other subject, including media studies!
    i must disagree with you when you say a language should be compulsory at gcse. a lot of students ive known to take a language at gcse have absolutly no intention of using the skills learnt in later life, and the same with media, and plenty of other subjects for that matter. for the majority of subjects taken at gcse, the only thing which will be carried into later life is the final grades, and if a grade A in media studies is 'easier' to achieve than a grade A in a language, then so be it. you've almost made your argument sound convincing when you say that most good universities will make a gcse language compulsory for entry by 2012. however, there are alot of students who do not take gcse's as the first step to a high flying uni. they will opt to simply go to college, or employment, and of course still lead a sucessful life, with no need for any linquistic skills.
    i myself took french and german at gcse, scoring a C and an A, so i am cirtainly not knocking your enthusiasm as a linquist. i simply must say that talented students, who have the potential and drive to do well at a language at gcse, will choose a language themselves and do well with it. however alot of students, i must say bluntly, will not find a 'breath of academic pleasure' in a language, whether it be a compulsory subject, or whether they themselves had chosen to take it for academic reasons, such as wanting to go to a good uni later in life. more importantly, some may take a language, yet lack any real interest in the subject and often struggle with the time consuming work load just to achieve a respectable, yet average grade C. most students of the same academic ability who take the seemingly 'easier' option of media studies, can atleast connect with the topics covered in the course, enjoy aspects of the work and achieve a grade A. how many 16 year olds do you think are passionate linquists? yet how many do you think watch tv, enjoy films, use the internet, and listen to music? of course, media studies is a more accessible option for a lot of students, which unquestionably makes the subject more enjoyable, and therefore 'easier'. but if a student has the potential to do well at a subject like media as well as why shouldn't they?

5. As someone who spent 10 years working in the media industry prior to working as a teacher delivering the subject to students, I'm constantly being told that media studies is a "Kop out" subject and could be taught by English teachers better. I'm also being told that my qualifications aren't as good because I originally went down the HND route and industry professional qualifications, even though all my professional qualifications are post grad equivalent, and I also have post grad qualifications.

In my time working in the media I?ve been all over the world, working in places such as Russia, Germany and South East Asia, working within the confines of another culture and language. Being a student who studied Media it hasn?t been a barrier, in communicating in these countries. The courses I have taken have all been a combination of academic theory and practical skills, just because a course has a practical element dosn?t make it a worthless course or qualification, are we about to say that Art is a worthless qualification to pusue because its also a practical based course.

I?ve been to interviews for posts teaching media and been told I?m not suitable because I?m not an English teacher, well I?m not applying for a flaming post as an English Teacher but the post for a Full time Media teacher.

The media course does teach communication, its allows the student to communicate and express an opinion through the use of media technology. The ability to write and film a documentary on a subject can be quite a powerful tool. The skills taught in media can be tranferred to jobs in later life, even non media related jobs. A lot of jobs in the modern world utilise modern technology, being able to access and utilise these skills will be of great benefit as the students progress into the work place.

Making a film or documentray is not an easy task. If its taught well, film making involves both literacy and numeracy tasks. These will include budgeting, scheduling, letter writing, research, script writing, shot logging, time sheets, promotional writing, press kits, blogging, report writing and a plethora of other tasks, before and after principal filming.

Most of my students can write a well constructed essay, something I?m very keen on, As this is a key skill at post curriculum education regardless of the course and qualification. They can also handle computers at a very high level, one of my students is currently making a multi level 3D computer game using Unity game engine for FUN, not as part of his studies. Most of my students over the years have all produced work outside of thier curriclum studies, not because they are told to, or they think they should, they do so becuase they enjoy the process of creativity, of making a product that can be enjoyed by others. How many other subjects can say that of the students, that they are producing work connected to the subject outside of the curriculum and in thier own time, I suspect not many.

I think that as a subject language students have no connection to the lanaguage, its not something they participate in outside of school, where as media they engage with every day at some point. Also they?ve grown up with media all around them, its something they?re quite comfortable with, most utilse the internet on a regular basis, using social media sites and entertaiment websites. They understand the mediium very well, and are comfortable discussing the subject, they all have an opinion on the subject matter as well.

I studied French and German at school and to be honest they were pretty redundant in the end. I worked in Germany for a period of 3 years, and the German I was taught at school was to be honest pretty useless. I pretty much had to re educate myself in speaking German, becuase I kept getting told my German was like pig English. I admit it made relearning the langugae easier, but to say I could communicate well in German after taking a GCSE was well rather Codswallop, as for my French, its very poor, my wife was better at French in school, but hers is nothing more than poor barely passable tourist french.

6. I'm sorry but I can read no further without offering a reply. I am in the fortunate (and informed) position of teaching both Media and English. In order to assist my most able students to 100% scores in both A levels, I have researched, resourced and guided them to reach their fullest potential. I can tell you without reservation, that the most searching and rigorous demands for my students can be found in the Media Studies A Level. The English specification provides a template for success; the Media specification requires independent academic study and real creativity to achieve in both the coursework and in the examination units. In addition, the foundation of the course is a constantly shifting glacier, with rapid technological changes which demand vigilance and render both textbooks and existing resources obsolete- the student must find his own way through this minefield; only the most academically disciplined and astute can keep up. And before you ask, I work in a comprehensive. During a recent invigilation of a French GCSE exam, I was shocked to hear the most basic vocabulary in a multiple choice format forming the basis of a listening examination. If dumbing down is to be an accusation, a more pertinent one would be the comparison of the O Levels I took with the current French GCSE.

7. DRH = ****
    excuse my french

8. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

I am sorry but I have had enough with this bullying from other subjects. 'I'm not knocking Media Studies but . . .' is as insulting to me as 'I am not being sexist but . . .' You are the Bernard Mannings of academia. Pushing your old fashioned views onto other subjects because your numbers are in decline. How can you possibly argue that the Media has no relevance today or no links to the world in which young people live - you cretins. Yes you are knocking Media Studies, yes you are inferring that all we do is watch telly and yes you are inferring that those who take or in fact teach Media Studies are stupid and have opted for something easy. Go away or have some real guts and go to all the other 'new subjects' and do the same there as you have here. Go on, I dare you - pick on Business Studies for not being Economics or MFL for not being Latin. How dare you come into the Media forum and pretend you do not have an agenda and are not here to be insulting - what a poor lack of professional decorum you have. I am really sick of Media being bashed as a subject. If you don't like it then vote for a government who do not water-down the curriculum but don't try and blame Media Studies for your decline in numbers. I am really proud of my subject - vous n'avez pas le droit to criticise something you have no experience teaching.

9. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

- subtitles, now sod off!

10. Maybe offering a wider range of languages would attract more pupils to choosing languages. At the moment the "top 3" - French, Spanish and German - are very similar to English, and have cultures not too different from British culture, all being western European languages. (I know French and Spanish are also spoken elsewhere in the world, but most pupils don't necessarily consider this).
    If pupils could study languages such as Japanese, Mandarin, Russian or Arabic, they might be more attracted to wanting to learn languages, as they offer an insight into cultures very different to their own, and languages that are nothing like they expected languages can be.
    I studied French, German and Italian in school, but was soon wanting to learn non-western European languages, so studied Arabic and Russian at university, along with modules in Japanese, Turkish and Persian. It made languages a lot more interesting than just French and Spanish.

11. I laughed...alot at this :D