1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Media - waste of time. Make them do languages.

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Mister DRH, Mar 9, 2007.

1. I'm convinced. I'm going to retrain as an MFL teacher and stop mucking about with this wishy washy Media stuff, starting from tomorrow.

2. Hi KarrieL

Here's the proof:
    'Languages students better prepared for employment than Media Students' - source University of Wales Bangor research

http://www.lang.ltsn.ac.uk/resources/resourcesitem.aspx?r...

'MFL teachers teach aspects of media through a dedicated language section on media at A2, extended film viewing with film analysis in the Target Language (TL), and the language and importance of advertising as assessed through the TL in A2 oral exam. Source - any AS/A2 level spec from AQA/OCR/WJEC/CCEA. SQA also follows a similar pattern.

Hope this helps!!!

3. madameh

madameh New commenter

could I just add an element of fact to this highly subjective thread. Media studies is the 4th easiest GCSE to pass. Latin is the hardest, followed by German, Spanish and then French. Could it just possibly be that kids opt for Media because IT IS EASIER!!! (research in The Independent carried out by Durham university.)Out of interest, Physics is 8th hardest and Maths is on neither 'easiest' nor 'hardest' list.

4. madameh

madameh New commenter

5. arsey

arsey New commenter

I'm not sure the subjects in your link are ranked in order, madameh, but I actually agree with you. I think it's assessment rather than content, though - GCSE Media is marked extremely leniently. A Level is better, but not much.

6. madameh

madameh New commenter

yes, it is assessment, but I don't think the answer is to 'dumb down' languages,(which is the plan) rather to be more stringent in other areas. Oh, but that would mean a drop in attainment, wouldn't it, and the myth of raising standards blown out of the water... We couldn't have that, could we!!!

7. madameh

madameh New commenter

if you read the text in the link, it does suggest that Latin is the hardest, so I think they are in rank order. But I quite agree, it is a question of the assessment. The answer? There will be a dumbing down of MFL GCSEs. Ridiculous in the extreme, but then we can't have government myths of raising standards being shown up as lies, can we!! Let them all get a grade A-C instead! Totally insane.

8. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

Letter of resignation handed in this morning.
    Re-training as an MFL teacher - bucket loads of money on offer apparently and (whisper) it's dead easy, honestly. When you've been as academically rigorous as I have as a Media Studies teacher, Latin, French, Greek (ancient and demotic), German, Polish (so you can argue with your plumber)and Spanish? - es pan comido!

...... gone fishing ...........

9. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Dear Mister DRH

Please stop posting such offensive rubbish. I'm an MFL teacher, and frankly quite embarrassed by the nonsense you're coming out with.
    You are just perpetuating the view that MFL teachers are stuck up, self-obsessed and self important prigs.

Thanks

PS - I'm hoping to run a 6th form trip with French / Media students to France for a film festival. I had wanted to do Cannes, but it falls during exam time. Has anyone got any good alternatives to suggest?

10. well, this has been a fun read...

Yasf,

Only one idea I'm afraid, but company called Study Experiences do choice of trips. The Paris one offers accommodation at Disney with conferences / seminars + tickets to the park. There is also the option to add on a day in Paris for small fee, and they seemed quite amenable to other tailoring. Never quite got around to taking kids on this myself, but still hoping to get a yes from the top on it one year soon. It's not Cannes, but it is France + it is media...

11. Hi Yasf,
    I didn't intend to sound pretentious or stuck-up. I'm just merely pointing out that a GCSE in a language is a more worthwhile qualification as opposed to media, something which you as an MFL teacher should surely agree on. My point is Media is a soft option and 99% of the kids who do it will never end up emplployed in media. There is no disputing the fact at a Modern Language is a skill for life which in the long-run will serve kids better, especially when they go to look for a job. Even if they never do a job involving languages it is an excellent skill to put on any application form.

12. drh wrote "99% of the kids who do it will never end up emplployed in media"

so?

99% of students of french at gcse will never end up employed in france (or even in the uk using their extensive knowledge of conjugated verb forms and what mme marsaud buys at the town market).

99% of students of history will not end up employed as historians.

99% of students of chemistry will not end up employed as chemists.

99% of students of physics will not end up employed as physicists.

99% of students of geography will not end up employed as cartograhers.

99% of students of art will not end up as employed as artists.

99% of students of latin will not end up employed as classicists.

...i could go on.

what's your point drh? are you arguing that we should only teach kids things that relate to their future careers? if so bring on call centre studies and gcse estate agency. you tit!

13. Hi DRH

please can you post the link to the exact page where it says that 'Languages students better prepared for employment than Media Students' I can not find it after a search of the whole site! I would like to read it (I'm not being sarcastic, I really would). Constructive critism is very welcome.

Film language does not make up the entire KS5 media course content neither does advertising.

I think the key word is Aspects. You seem to be implying that the students spend two units of an MFL course studying media. I think it is more the case that you use media as a vehicle to teach your language, yet you complain media is a waste of time. The boards could have used any topic for these units and yet they chose media.

madameh

The bbc article does not suggest that Latin is the hardest subject. That is just your interpretation. But it does highlight an important point. There is a problem with the grading criteria that needs to be addressed. This does not make any point on the merit of teaching the subject, which I thought was the starting point of this discussion (arguement). Media studies is on the 'easier' list, and this is a common perception of the subject, but it is alarming to me that it is immediately followed by English! English is surely not an 'easier' subject.

I believe students chose to do media over 'academic' or 'harder' subjects for 3 reasons.

1. They think it is easier (and they often realise they are wrong very early on!)

2. They think they will be interested in the subject matter of the course

3. They think they will enjoy it.

At the end of the day, if they enjoy the lessons they may learn something, and one day they may just use it. Maybe more kids should learn languages, but then more adults should too, and we often forget they are only kids. How many people knew what they wanted to do when they were chosing their GCSE's.

14. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

Confucious he say, when in hole, stop digging.

Sorry not sure what that would be in French, Spanish, German or even Madarin :-s

15. hi kinematronika
    My post 30 clearly said that even if GCSE languages students end up not working in languages they have a practical skill for life, or something to that effect. Please read post 30 it again and it will be clearer (you would obviously be an MFL teacher's nightmare in reading comprehension :)) My point is that languages are a pratical skill that can be put on an application form and could swing the balance in who is offered a job, particularly jobs in tourism, marketing, retail etc.

The link to the statistics from the Uni of Wales is the best I can do, click on it and then click on the first option that appears.

16. I have tried the links on this page. There is no evidence there of your claim 'Languages students better prepared for employment than Media Students'. It is your opinion. It is not fact.

17. Mister DRH - waste of time. Make him read the thread.

Seriously, Mister DRH doesn't seem to be following either his own arguments or anyone else's, and I'm not sure the discussion in this thread has anywhere else to go. Many of us agree that assessment of Media Studies could be tougher, but that's not the same as believing the subject is worthless. I'm sure we ALL 'comprehended' post 30 perfectly well, and recognised that he was making two unrelated points (one about employability and another about life skills), while making an unsubstantiated assumption that media skills are neither valuable nor attractive to employers in the 21st Century.

For what it's worth, the article on employability of Media graduates at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4459922.stm is an interesting little read, but can I suggest we don't indulge him for too much longer? It doesn't appear to be getting us OR him anywhere...

18. re DRH post 34: "even if GCSE languages students end up not working in languages they have a practical skill for life"

Any of our media students will be able to walk into businesses and make their websites for them, design their leaflets/flyers etc, write persuasive text, present to audiences, work in teams in high pressure environments - all very practical skills in a number of industries and job positions, and I could go on.

Most importantly, having studied ownership, legal and ethical issues, representation and politics, my AS and A2 students are actually properly informed about how to interpret the media messages they get about who runs our country and will be able to make an informed vote at the next general election.

You have clearly have no knowledge of what actually happens in a media studies classroom.

19. DRH, sounds familiar, your not HOD in Huddersfield by any chance are you? Anyway, the reason why the number of students are opting for MFL has very little to do with Media Studies and more to do with the out dated way that MFL is taught.
    -Why learn a language from 11, when the brain's ability to learn language is already decreasing?

-English is increasingly becoming an international language, where is the incentive to learn a language when the common language used in business is English anyway?

-Why do most MFL continue to teach post war French and German, when if the above is not the case Spanish, Japanese, Chinese would be much more useful in terms of future employment.

DRH, face up to facts, things are changing, guess you have to just put up with it... or try retraining!!