1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Media Studies PGCE. Maths requirement question

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Tmccann1, Nov 3, 2011.

1. I am about to apply to join one of the several PGCE Media Studies courses around the UK and I am concerned my lack of a GCSE or equivalent in maths is going to prevent me from getting onto the course. I have 20 years professional experience in publishing and a degree in Communications from Goldsmiths. I also have hundreds of hours classroom experience as a TEFL teacher. Is it so black and white regarding the maths requirement do you think, or is there some discretion shown? Any advice most welcome.

2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Hi there
    I teach English, Media and now Film Studies but got onto the English PGCE with a Grade B in maths by re-doing it, Intermediate was the only course available locally, at night school :(
    Like you, I was a mature student ( had a pretty poor GCE from school years ago) and I think they were quite keen to take me. To be honest, you have to take Literacy, numeracy and ICT tests anyway to pass the PGCE. Some of the people on my course were massively worried about the maths one.
    I can't offer much advice other my own experience but one suggestion might be to contact the uni; your own work/life experience will be extremely valuable.
    Good luck
    Liz