1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

media studies gcse

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by ssantos86, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I need a bit of advice... I emailed a bunch of local schools to ask if I could do some classroom observations and did a day at a 6th form college which basically consisted of me sitting and writting notes.

I then got an email from a secondary school saying they would let me do a day a week for 6 weeks. I figured since I said observation in my email, that it would be the same set up as the previous place.

Except when I got there for my first day last week, I was told I would have to actually assist the teacher. This happens to be in media studies classes.

I have an A level in Film Studies and a Film Production degree and intend to teach Film Studies and perhaps also Media Studies at sixth form level.

I was lacking confidence a bit and the feedback I got suggested I need to spend a bit more time with each student rather than just walking around seeing who needs help and so on.

I'm basically here to ask for general advice on the subject as I didn't do it myself. I felt a little bit out of the loop with some of the things they covered (not sure why :/ )

What can I do between now and tomorrow to kind of brush up and how can I improve on my general teaching assistance?

2. I need a bit of advice... I emailed a bunch of local schools to ask if I could do some classroom observations and did a day at a 6th form college which basically consisted of me sitting and writting notes.

I then got an email from a secondary school saying they would let me do a day a week for 6 weeks. I figured since I said observation in my email, that it would be the same set up as the previous place.

Except when I got there for my first day last week, I was told I would have to actually assist the teacher. This happens to be in media studies classes.

I have an A level in Film Studies and a Film Production degree and intend to teach Film Studies and perhaps also Media Studies at sixth form level.

I was lacking confidence a bit and the feedback I got suggested I need to spend a bit more time with each student rather than just walking around seeing who needs help and so on.

I'm basically here to ask for general advice on the subject as I didn't do it myself. I felt a little bit out of the loop with some of the things they covered (not sure why :/ )

What can I do between now and tomorrow to kind of brush up and how can I improve on my general teaching assistance?

3. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

if they expect you to be a "teaching assistant" rather than just an observer then I guess you should do the following things
    * Find out what the topics are the teacher is going to be covering that day. Just get them to give you a brief idea of what will be going on eg "Print advertising - students analysing adverts"

* Then head to the internet to brush up on that topic and refresh your memory about what's involved..

* Most students are reluctant to ask for help so its better to do one of the following things. Either ask the teacher in advance to point out the students they want you to work with and assist (might be students with SEN or EAL issues, or just students who need help to focus etc, OR keep an eye on the class when the teacher is explaining the topic and see if you can spot the ones not listening, or who loook confused and then head to them and sit down with them.

With regards to "brushing up on subject knowledge" I would look at the exam board specifications for the school you are observing at (most do either AQA or OCR Media Studies) and also look at the exam board spec for FIlm studies if you intend on teaching it (WJEC normally) and find out what sort of things are covered. On the page for that subject it should have a list of Key Materials and in there should be Teacher's Resources where they give you an idea of Schemes of Work (ideas for what should be covered over the unit in lessons etc) that might help.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

GCSE Media Studies doesn't have to include much in the way of theory, although teachers who teach 14-18 often include it as a precursor to 6th form courses. Knowledge of textual analysis, generic conventions, camera angles, shot types, and the practical skills needed to create a Media text/product are usually sufficient for GCSE students to hit or exceed their target grades.

What exactly are they working on at present? If they're completing a practical production task the mark scheme will emphasise the need for research, planning, and evaluation as well as production. GCSE students are often weaker on documenting their research and planning. If they're working on textual analysis tasks I'd suggest you look up the generic conventions of the studied texts, and if possible study the specific texts yourself.

5. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

If I had an untrained and unqualified classroom assistant in my classroom, I would expect to take charge and direct that person. It is the teacher's responsibility to tell you what they want you to do in their classroom. If they want you to work with specific students, then they should clearly indicate which students and specifically what they want you to do with them.
    Any "teaching" that you do is incidental as you are there to "assist" and that is what you should be doing. The teacher in the classroom should be helping you and guiding you - that is their job.
    Sounds like they're getting a free LSA here - what do you get out of it, apart from the classroom experience?

6. basically just classroom experience!

and they've told me not to come back!

I tried very hard last week, I found it a real challenge - I won't mention any specifics here before I don't want anyone to see it and take it the wrong way but I could have done with a bit more guidance other than being told to interact more- yes I tried that what else?!

Should I bother to reply to their email. I should at least thank them for their time but I feel as if I should also stand up for myself :/ no?

7. Thank you for your comments :)

It's good to know that they should have been more supportive, I'll see what I can do about finding somewhere else, even if it's not till the autumn term now as the other places I was contacting said they would be full for the year.

I didn't get onto the pgce I was interviewed for so have another year in which to gain experience :)