1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Media related trip to enhance learning - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by unemet, Jan 26, 2017.

1. unemet

unemet New commenter

Can anyone suggest/recommend any trips in London that I could take my year 10 Media class to as an end of term 'treat?'
    Ideally it would be something that is hands on and that relates to the world of Media.
    Thank you

2. pywellj

pywellj New commenter

It's a shame the BBC Broadcasting House tour is no longer running as that would be great for students.

3. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

4. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

Sky Academy is great although it books up really far in advance. You go to the Sky Studios, and into a special 'pod' where there are 4 mock studios made for students with cameras, touch screen editing stations, costumes, lights etc. The students work in groups to create a news programme about a particular topic (decided by you in advance from a list of options). They get to use green screen, add sound / music / graphics, do interviews, etc. Its VERY high tech and easy to use even for younger / less able children, and then they all get to watch each others' news programmes at the end. Its totally free to go to as far as I know (I went about 4 years ago) and the staff are great at leading the activities.

5. Sealhawk

Sealhawk New commenter

Funnily enough I'm thinking about something similar - I've been thinking about Harry Potter studios, BFI, Leicester Square cinema etc.

6. unemet

unemet New commenter

Thank you so much for your suggestions! They are really helpful.

7. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

I think the Sky Studio has changed recently, and is now just half a day per school/group. I really recommend the Harry Potter studios though. Really well organised for school trips, masses to see so never felt too crowded in any one place, and lots of interesting media information, such as videos at the side of exhibits which run on a loop for a couple of minutes with details of how things were achieved. I took a group last year and they (and the staff) loved it.

8. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

Museum of the Moving Image?

I've never been there, so don't know how heavily weighted it is to film and entertainment as opposed to "media" content, so a bit of pre-research might be in order ... but it's supposed to be really rather good.

9. emilylime

emilylime New commenter

Harry Potter Studios are excellent - book a lesson with the resident teachers, they are really inspiring and discuss jobs in the media etc. Bradford Museum of Moving Image is also good but sometimes lots of things are out of order.
    Local BBC often offer tours of news rooms etc for a small fee. See if you can go and see a quiz show being filmed?