1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Media GTP interview help!

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by amybev, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hello,

I was lucky enough to manage to get a Media GTP interview at short notice. So I'm currently trying to prepare for it - particularly trying to find out some more about current issues surrounding studying media at schools from year 10 all the way to sixth form.

However, after browsing on here for a few hours, I'm still trying to find the answers - so if anyone here would be able to help, it would be much appreciated.

Firstly, I'm trying to read more into/understand some current educational issues which I could be asked to talk about at the interview?

I've been looking into Every Child Matters - the basis of it being that schools play a central role in ensuring that the 5 main aims of the report are met. Particularly because teachers are in an ideal position to observe young people and identify when things aren't going right i.e neglect, illness, poor housing etc. I know this definition is basic, but am I thinking along the right lines?

However, I was hoping to find out some media specific issues which I could be asked about or refer to.

I know the headlines have been suggesting for a while that BTECs are going to be scrapped - but I'm yet to find out the reason why - is it because the BTECs aren't included in the school statistics - so potentially some schools fall lower in league tables?

And I was also thinking about the scrapping of the EMA and the direct effect it will have on media studies? I'm thinking along the lines of less students attending sixth form colleges = less students studying media? But could anyone expand upon this?

Also I have the understanding that media studies is not on the curriculum - it was instead developed by teachers working with an awarding body to create a National Qualifications Framework? So talking about the National Curriculum review wouldn't be relevant?

The only thing I can see on the Govt website is this - http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-3-and-4/cross-curriculum-dimensions/technologymedia/index.aspx - which just talks about the cross curriculum potential of the subject?

I know this is obviously extremely important and I will definitely talk about media's cross curricular potential, but is there anything more specific I need to talk about?

Any help would be grateful...so I don't have dancing feet every night up until my interview.

Thank you

2. Hello,

I was lucky enough to manage to get a Media GTP interview at short notice. So I'm currently trying to prepare for it - particularly trying to find out some more about current issues surrounding studying media at schools from year 10 all the way to sixth form.

However, after browsing on here for a few hours, I'm still trying to find the answers - so if anyone here would be able to help, it would be much appreciated.

Firstly, I'm trying to read more into/understand some current educational issues which I could be asked to talk about at the interview?

I've been looking into Every Child Matters - the basis of it being that schools play a central role in ensuring that the 5 main aims of the report are met. Particularly because teachers are in an ideal position to observe young people and identify when things aren't going right i.e neglect, illness, poor housing etc. I know this definition is basic, but am I thinking along the right lines?

However, I was hoping to find out some media specific issues which I could be asked about or refer to.

I know the headlines have been suggesting for a while that BTECs are going to be scrapped - but I'm yet to find out the reason why - is it because the BTECs aren't included in the school statistics - so potentially some schools fall lower in league tables?

And I was also thinking about the scrapping of the EMA and the direct effect it will have on media studies? I'm thinking along the lines of less students attending sixth form colleges = less students studying media? But could anyone expand upon this?

Also I have the understanding that media studies is not on the curriculum - it was instead developed by teachers working with an awarding body to create a National Qualifications Framework? So talking about the National Curriculum review wouldn't be relevant?

The only thing I can see on the Govt website is this - http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-3-and-4/cross-curriculum-dimensions/technologymedia/index.aspx - which just talks about the cross curriculum potential of the subject?

I know this is obviously extremely important and I will definitely talk about media's cross curricular potential, but is there anything more specific I need to talk about?

Any help would be grateful...so I don't have dancing feet every night up until my interview.

Thank you

3. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

Not sure if this is the same around the country but before this new Educational White paper, schools could count Media studies results in their GCSE results statistics of students achieving 5 A*-C grades. Previously it didnt matter what the subjects in those 5 were.. Now the only subjects that schools are allowed to count will be English, Maths, a modern foreign language, science and either history or georgraphy.. think that's right? So some people are saying that any subject that is NOT one of those will be seen as less important by schools (affecting funding, budgets, etc) and also will be seen as less important by parents (as if they dont already think its a "soft subject!")... so they might ask you how you will raise the profile of the subject, how you will argue its relevance and importance at open evenings and options evenings.. How will you change parents minds and get them to see the worth of the subject when the governement has basically said anything that's not one of their pre chosen 5 subjects is not important any more?
    Another thing that is a "current educational matter" is that the government is trying to encourage more "Student Led Learning" where there is less teacher talk and more of students taking responsibility for their own learning.. this might include students planning lessons, students deciding on lesson objectives, students giving the teacher's advice about how to teach better, students marking each other's work etc..
    They also like to bandy around the term 'Assessment For Learning' which is basically encompasses many things including
    * students knowing HOW to improve their work (so teacher's have to give constructive criticism, rather than just a grade, giving them constant feedback about their progress and how to move up a level or a grade)
    * students knowing how their work gets marked and understanding assessment ( so teachers have to develop student friendly mark schemes, let students mark their own and other's work, show them example work and tell them what grade it got and let the students develop their own mark scheme to explain why it got that grade etc
    * Students being able to track their own progress and set their own targets (so i get my students to keep a list of all their grades for each piece of work in the back of their books so they can instantly see their progress or lack of it. And after each piece of marked work they have to write 3 targets in their books about how they think they will improve next time etc..)
    * Teachers assessing EVERY student in the class at least a few times during EVERY lesson.. they often say its not enough to just ask for hands up to questions as only a few students respond and teachers can often not know how the quieter kids are progressing.. (solutions include doing mini quizes, a no hands up policy where you pick on students at random, having every student's name on a register and make sure that every student gets asked a question at least once a lesson, getting students to lead on work to show their understanding etc..)

4. Thank you! I really appreciate the help!

I will definitely try to refer to both of those in the interview - and the first topic provides opportunity to guide the conversation onto the importance of the subject. This is the issue I feel I'm panicking about, because I know certain 'issues', its just trying to utilize that knowledge in conversation to show that I am aware of current issues which I believe I might not be able to pull off.

Thanks again.