1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

MEd or MA Education for teaching abroad (Can)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tomjeavons, Sep 23, 2016.

  1. tomjeavons

    tomjeavons New commenter


    I'm currently considering the posibility of teaching in Canada at some point in the future (yes I realise that it's not easy etc etc, but I'm in no rush). The issue I do have however is that I completed a GTP, rather than a PGCE to get my QTS. I have the opportunity to do a masters course, but I am unsure which type of Masters, MEd or MA Education would be the best one to pick with this long term goal in mind. Does anybody know anything about this or can shed some light on the information? I have browsed various Canadian provinces websites on the matter and I can't really see an answer to my question.

    Also, is that even a futile thing to do anyway (other than the obvious bonus benfits)? Would it not help the process at all to have a masters in education with GTP training? Thanks for any help.
  2. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Not that i want to be negative straight away, but because of the shear numbers of Candians working overseas because "they cant get a job at home" i would suggest you need to get as many qualifications as possible. From what i remember they actually need to prove they can't find a Candian before they offer it to anyone else. This may cause you a lot of problems.
    I have worked over 3 contenients and by far the largest group of international teachers i have met over the years has been Candian. This may be shocking to some, but as a Brit i have always been in the smallest national group of teachers at every proper school i have worked at.... i dont count Spain as it was a zoo, and hell on earth.
    I have only worked at IB schools though.
    percy topliss likes this.
  3. Helen-Back

    Helen-Back Occasional commenter

    Pick a province and do a search for that provinces teaching agent / association. I can give you some (increasingly dated) info about British Columbia;
    BC requires a four year degree to get onto the B.Ed. program.
    The B.Ed. program lasts a year (usually Sept to Aug) and is worth 60 credits ,which is equivalent to two years of university. Ultimately, in order to get into a classroom you need the equivalent of six years of uni (five years in reality).
    What that means in practice is;
    1. If you have a three year initial degree, you will almost certainly have to do an extra year of classes, classes which are specified by the BC Ministry of Education.
    2. If you have a PGCE, who will have to do extra classes, in order to make it equivalent in the eyes of the BC Ministry of Education.

    I honestly can't believe that the GTP would be accepted. BC just will not accept alternative routes (Canadian or otherwise). I'm also fairly sure masters credits will not be accepted instead of undergraduate credit. From what I have read, a teacher in the UK could walk out of uni with a BA/BSc and a masters in four years. That would take a minimum of six in Canada and probably seven.

    Once you've jumped all the hoops, you will be faced with the reality that there are few (and few is being generous) jobs and you'll face an uphill struggle to survive financially.

    Sorry to be negative. This post has dragged me down as I've written it. Still, it's not all negative, a Canadian education is respected an accepted in international schools and life is good :)


Share This Page