1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mechanisms Unit of Work in card. Help please

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by yant, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Just wondering if anyone has any success using card for producing a mechanisms based project at KS3
    We want to go beyond Pop Up cards (we do that in year7)
    In the past Y8 pupils have produced a cam driven 3D model inspired by Rob Ives website, (formally flyingpig) but this restricted movement to mostly Reciprocating from a Cam shaft with 3 cams
    Any progressive ideas for our Y9s please? Thanks

2. Just wondering if anyone has any success using card for producing a mechanisms based project at KS3
    We want to go beyond Pop Up cards (we do that in year7)
    In the past Y8 pupils have produced a cam driven 3D model inspired by Rob Ives website, (formally flyingpig) but this restricted movement to mostly Reciprocating from a Cam shaft with 3 cams
    Any progressive ideas for our Y9s please? Thanks

3. You need the rob ives CD he's now flogging so you can progress your own ideas or make them larger. I just did a project with my Year 10 Product design lot about exciting packaging ie they had to re package chocolates for a certain target market. I included the need for a special mechanism of some sort. so it might have been that they have the chocs rotating in the box or a handle turns and lifts the chocs up on s wheel etc. Also can include IT use for packaging design and CAM if you have it to make detailed components.

Also have a look on you tube for card mechanisms, there are loads of inspiration points.

Have fun

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

When I worked in marketing, we got a sample box from http://www.popupmailers.co.uk/index.php I think you have to pay 20GBP if you want one for the school but some great ideas for Graphics. (Maybe you know a business that could request the samples and send you a few?) x

5. It is unfortunate that teachers have to pay for it but totally worth the £20, careful when you open the box!