1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mechanics thread

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pwc9000, May 19, 2011.

1. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

So the thread gets removed after the time we are allowed to discuss the exam - seems rather pointless. I'm glad I wasted time posting a reply this morning.

2. Thing is ... as a teacher I have to wait 24 hours before seeing the paper (not just edexel)

If I am asked to look at the paper, to clarify an issue or to check for needed resources,
    or any other reason ... I am bound by the rules to not discuss the contents for 24 hours

The rules are clear and professionals will abide by them ... the rest of us assume that professionalism ...
    so assume that people asking questions are nit breaking the rules

These rules have tightened up over the last few years ... perhaps not everyone is clear and the suggestion by DM that TES could put a statement at the top of the board about this may be enough to remind people of their professional responsibilities

3. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

you assue the op is a teacher - this is not necessarily the case
    what about other forums (maybe not even educational ones) were a similar questioned could be posed within the deadline?

4. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

A student could easily have FB friends doing the exam at a different time and the opportunities given todays communication methods for cheating beggars belief.
    If the exams are to be taking at different times they should be different - edexcel need to address this.

5. In order to prevent cheating there is a 24 hour discussion rule, its very simple. It applies to all Edexcel, CIE, STEP and IB exams as they are taken across the world. You are not allowed to make any comments, outside of school, even just to say if the paper was easy or difficult.
    The thread on the M1 question yesterday included the question and solution, I was surprised it took so long for TES to pull it.

6. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

Could somebody please clarify - preferably with a link to an Edexcel document - exactly what the rule is. Is it midnight? Is it 24 hours? From when?

7. DM

DM New commenter

Morning exams can be discussed after 12 a.m and afternoon exams after 4.30 a.m. - I can't be bothered to find an Edexcel link. Ask Graham?

8. This is not just edexcel ... the exam boards have tightened up and this is ALL boards ALL exams

9. With 24 different time zones around the world it would be a fairly simple matter to prepare 24 different sets of papers for each module every session, can't understand why Edexcel has not done this already.

10. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
    You seem to have ignored my point about students themselves - you seem to be assuming this question was posted by a teacher.
    Are the students told that they cant discuss the paper for 24 hours? I can remeber any such thing being said to any of ours.
    All they need to do is post on facebook to their friends in the same way somone posted on here.

11. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

We seem to have this conversation/argument every year on here!
    I agree with Mike that it is unrealistic to expect an exam embargo to be kept.
    On Thurs afternoon many of our Yr 10 pupils took a modular biology exam. What did they do as soon as they came out of the exam hall? They talked about the exam! They wanted to know what their friends put for question three, whether the answer to question seven was really ###, etc. Some of them will presumably have got onto facebook or texted friends in a similar way.
    I understood that CIE create different versions of exams for different parts of the world. Edexcel should do the same. Candidates are not told (are they?) they can't discuss exam questions until midnight after they have taken the exam (or something).
    Here is what Edexcel should do: Either they should have a start time for each exam in GMT. Everyone taking the exam, whether in England, Australia or on the moon should do the exam at that time in GMT. If that means students in Canberra are taking exams in the middle of the night then so be it. Or they should set different exams for different regions.
    Mike is right on this one, just as he is right on the tiers of entry issue (we haven't had a good rant recently about how Intermediate Tier was so cruelly taken from us!).

12. Molesworth2

Molesworth2 New commenter

That may be, but you'd hope that teachers on this site wouldn't be the ones to break it as soon as possible - the posts of the 6 June GCSE papers went up pretty quickly...