1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mechanics investigation task

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by ResourceFinder, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hi

Rather than leaping straight into Y13 stuff when Y12 return we have decided to do an investigation in whichever
    Applied they have not done

So I am looking at producing an investigation that Y12 who have done S1 will do that will prep them for M1

So ... my first idea is very simple ... choose a surface, tip the surface ... an item slides from top to bottom ...
    how does angle of inclination and mass of item affect the time taken

The idea is to set the task ... allow them to work alone or in pairs ... 2 weeks to investigate ... create a presentation to show how they conducted the investigation and what the results are

I am happy-ish with the task but wondered if anyone had more exciting ideas ... NB we do not have a Mechanics
    set nor a car track, nor anything [​IMG]

2. Hi

Rather than leaping straight into Y13 stuff when Y12 return we have decided to do an investigation in whichever
    Applied they have not done

So I am looking at producing an investigation that Y12 who have done S1 will do that will prep them for M1

So ... my first idea is very simple ... choose a surface, tip the surface ... an item slides from top to bottom ...
    how does angle of inclination and mass of item affect the time taken

The idea is to set the task ... allow them to work alone or in pairs ... 2 weeks to investigate ... create a presentation to show how they conducted the investigation and what the results are

I am happy-ish with the task but wondered if anyone had more exciting ideas ... NB we do not have a Mechanics
    set nor a car track, nor anything [​IMG]

3. this is probably more physics than maths, but could you also alter the type of surface (smooth, sandpaper, material?) and cover objects in same?

4. I thought they might consider that as in extension ... I was wary of putting it in as they can only describe surface ... they would not be able to measure the coefficient of friction

5. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

To do this in any non trivial way you need to measure the speed / time taken by different masses.
    To do this accurately enough to get meaningful results without the correct equipment is going to be difficult imo.
    can your science department help?

6. That was a worry for me too ... but i am struggling to think of an alternative

I will chat to the Physics team though

7. KYP

KYP New commenter

Change of topic - could you do something with projectiles, and curve-fitting to give quadratics? Or is there anything in the Mechanics in Action resource? Depends how much time you have to plan it!