1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meat.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lilachardy, May 8, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I don't eat meat.
    I have no idea about meat.
    I roasted a chicken once or twice!

My mother has seen it appropriate to ask me to bring a joint of meat when we go on holiday. There will be 8 to 13 people to feed. We will have a Sunday Roast meal of it - left overs would be nice but aren't essential. (Obviously the number of people there will help decide that one!)

Any ideas or recommendations?

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Where are you going and what facilities will there be? Or don't you know?
    I would suggest for that number, 2 joints or a large leg of lamb, or a turkey.

3. lilachardy

I think there's a range-style cooker to use.
    It's not too far from home!

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I'd get a huuuuuuuuuuuge joint of pork.

5. lilachardy

Can I be more specific?

Saying "pork" or "turkey" or "beef" or whatever doesn't really help - I need specific information about what cut I need!
    What kind of weight would I need, too?

Quite why this is my job I don't know!

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Nor me. To be honest I'm surprised your Mum has asked you to do this knowing you don't eat meat.
    I'd go for a large, boned and rolled leg of pork. If you buy it from a supermarket the label often indicated how many it should feed but go for the biggest you can as the rest can be eaten cold.

7. lilachardy

You don't know my mum... she's probably forgotten that little detail! Well - she'll remember that I don't eat meat, but forgets that I have no knowledge of meat at all.

Thanks for the advice.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

LOL [​IMG]

9. lilachardy

Ok, so if I go for a pork leg, what sort of price am I looking at?

Any vague ideas on the weight?

10. NOT A LEG! Too dry and horrid!
    Get a large boned shoulder of pork for a local butcher then look up Jamie O or any other slow prok roast recipe and really surprise your mum!
    A good shoulder joint in great for a crowd, cooked slow, lots of lovely cooking smells, lots of juicy meat, lots of crunchy crackling....
    You can cook it for anything up to 6 hours..... it makes everyone drool.... it's dead easy just needs bunging in the oven!
    Ask you butcher about the weight! I usually but 2kg for the 2 of us for about 4 meals each!

11. lilachardy

I'm not cooking it!
    Are you trying to make me hurl?
    It sounds gopping!
    I'd sooner not go into a butchers shop if I can help it.

I appreciate that you're trying to help ... but EEEK!

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

Supermarket frozen turkey bought on the way: it will still be a block of ice when you get there (so not too offensive to you) and will yield a lot of meat for whoever chooses to eat it.

Don't forget to take your own food, though: if she hasn't thought about you being veggie, you'll end up with a few steamed veg and nothing else!!

13. lilachardy

I usually just have the potatoes, veggies, stuffing, sauce and veggie gravy... "just" - it's a lot, isn't it!

14. lilachardy

Ok - so.

Thanks for the help so far!

We'll have a 3.2kg rolled shoulder of pork.

Any cooking instructions? Given that I usually end up in the kitchen, it'd be helpful if I know vaguely what's going on!

Thanks!

15. Slooooooooooooooooow cook. Low heat.

16. lilachardy

Do we just put it in the oven? For ... 4 hours? More?

17. I would be tempted to do 120° to 150° for a good 4 or 5 hours, yes.
    Pork is best cooked on slow heat for a long time.

18. lilachardy

Thanks.
    Does it need covering?

(I can just tell that I am going to end up in charge...)

19. Not at first - you may want to cover with foil towards the end, to avoid burning.
    Try to remember the rule - better low temp and long cooking, rather than rushing and wasting.

20. inky

inky Lead commenter