1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Measuring reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by RJR_38, Mar 21, 2012.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

As a new SENCO to a school allowed to change anything we are about to start using the new RAPID reading intervention in our school which I am quite excited about. But before I start I want to have a way of measuring progress. At the moment we are just switching over to APP Style assessments (and truth be known national curriculum levelling as well - independent school and it was a bit behind) and so I am not sure if thiswil be the best way to measure progress at the moment while teachers are getting to grips with it.
    I have considered Salford or Holborn but am not convinced of the usefulness of such reading ages - although it would show clear progress in decoding ability. Anyone got any opinions?

2. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

As a new SENCO to a school allowed to change anything we are about to start using the new RAPID reading intervention in our school which I am quite excited about. But before I start I want to have a way of measuring progress. At the moment we are just switching over to APP Style assessments (and truth be known national curriculum levelling as well - independent school and it was a bit behind) and so I am not sure if thiswil be the best way to measure progress at the moment while teachers are getting to grips with it.
    I have considered Salford or Holborn but am not convinced of the usefulness of such reading ages - although it would show clear progress in decoding ability. Anyone got any opinions?

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Do you mean the Heinemann one that is based on phonics? Doesn't it have its own way of seeing if pupils are progressing?
    How often do you want a measure of progress for the children doing the intervention? How often and for how long are they receiving the intervention? Group or one to one?

4. Agree with Mystery's questions.
    Also, do you want to know the impact specifically on their phonics (if so, you could do a basic Letters and Sounds based assessment of which graphemes they know, before and after), or generally on their reading - when APP gives a better overall picture, but APP isn't that easy to get specific levels for reading, as it depends so much on the text they are reading. The problem with quick reading assessments is that they can be very misleading, especially for children who are at the lower end of the scale (and re-testing over a short time scale can come up with confusing results too).

5. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Yes I mean the Heinemann one and I didn't know it came with its own assessment thing - thats not something she mentioned and although I have ordered it, it hasn't arrived for me to look at properly.
    We use APP for general reading assessment at the moment but as you say its not that easy to get a specific level from sometimes. The chidlren will be having 2 sessions of 20 mins a week for as long as it takes really - I am guessing around a term (12 weeks).
    I kind of wanted somethign I could use to assess at the start and then atr the end to see if progress has been made and 'prove' to OFSTED that the interventions I was putting in place were useful (if that makes sense?)
    I completely agree about testing at thel ower end of the scale and being miselading etc -the children I hope to be targeting with this are KS2 children who are 2 or more sublevels below where we might expect them to be for their year group.

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

OK well without being too pessimistic, 40 mins per week, for one term, even one to one (is it one to one) is not going to produce startling differences from start to end, unless they have had no reading instruction to date.
    Give us some more clues. Is it a synthetic phonics scheme you have purchased? And what is the starting point of these children (say in terms of letters and sounds, NC levels, reading age etc).

7. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

We use rapid reading. It doesn't come with its own assessment but does have bench mark books which use running records to assess their reading to decide if they are ready for the next level or need to stay on the same level but go onto set B. I use it for guided reading with my lowest group in KS2. I use APP and a simple reading test as a baseline. (sorry can't remember the name but it just assesses decoding skills).

8. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Ok, most of these children won't have had any direct reading instruction in the UK as most of them are EAL and have come from various schools abroad and in our experience progress is usually quick. Obviously some of these children will need to do the intervention for more than a term - that would be the minimum but measuring who needs it etc is obviously key.
    As I said before, the scheme is aimed at KS2 children and we are targeting children who are 2 sublevels below where we might expect them to be. So at this point of the year any children who are stil a level 2 or possibly a 3c (we have high levels in the school) would be targeted.
    The scheme is RAPID - it isn't synthetic as such - it is graded books with comprehension questions etc at the end of each section and accompanying software where children read the book again in to the mike on their headset and it automatically corrects their pronunciation/tells them words they have missed out etc as well as recording whaty they say andp laying it back to them. It has had a lot of good feedback from the independent research I found which is whh I bought it. The main aim of it is to develop fluency and understanding.

9. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Thanks for that Wotton. I think that a combination of APP that the class teachers provide and a simple decoding test I carry out will probably be what I do - that or a running record of sorts.
    I didn't think it came with its own assessment as the benchmarking books were the way of doing that.