1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Measuring reading

Discussion in 'English' started by RJR_38, Mar 21, 2012.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

As a new SENCO to a school allowed to change anything we are about to start using the new RAPID reading intervention in our school which I am quite excited about. But before I start I want to have a way of measuring progress. At the moment we are just switching over to APP Style assessments (and truth be known national curriculum levelling as well - independent school and it was a bit behind) and so I am not sure if thiswil be the best way to measure progress at the moment while teachers are getting to grips with it.
    I have considered Salford or Holborn but am not convinced of the usefulness of such reading ages - although it would show clear progress in decoding ability. Anyone got any opinions? I am primary by the way.

2. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

As a new SENCO to a school allowed to change anything we are about to start using the new RAPID reading intervention in our school which I am quite excited about. But before I start I want to have a way of measuring progress. At the moment we are just switching over to APP Style assessments (and truth be known national curriculum levelling as well - independent school and it was a bit behind) and so I am not sure if thiswil be the best way to measure progress at the moment while teachers are getting to grips with it.
    I have considered Salford or Holborn but am not convinced of the usefulness of such reading ages - although it would show clear progress in decoding ability. Anyone got any opinions? I am primary by the way.