1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Measuring reading

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by RJR_38, Mar 21, 2012.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

As a new SENCO to a school allowed to change anything we are about to start using the new RAPID reading intervention in our school which I am quite excited about. But before I start I want to have a way of measuring progress. At the moment we are just switching over to APP Style assessments (and truth be known national curriculum levelling as well - independent school and it was a bit behind) and so I am not sure if thiswil be the best way to measure progress at the moment while teachers are getting to grips with it.
    I have considered Salford or Holborn but am not convinced of the usefulness of such reading ages - although it would show clear progress in decoding ability. Anyone got any opinions? I am goign to to put this in Emglish as well.

2. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

As a new SENCO to a school allowed to change anything we are about to start using the new RAPID reading intervention in our school which I am quite excited about. But before I start I want to have a way of measuring progress. At the moment we are just switching over to APP Style assessments (and truth be known national curriculum levelling as well - independent school and it was a bit behind) and so I am not sure if thiswil be the best way to measure progress at the moment while teachers are getting to grips with it.
    I have considered Salford or Holborn but am not convinced of the usefulness of such reading ages - although it would show clear progress in decoding ability. Anyone got any opinions? I am goign to to put this in Emglish as well.

3. Hi,
    I tend to use a mix of Salford and the Edinburgh Reading Test. The first is quicker but only tests decoding skills - the second is longer / more stressful for students but is much more holistic and diagnostic. We are currently in the process of establishing an effective whole-school screening programme for reading - no easy feat!
    A further test could be TOWRE - for students who you want to investigate further in terms of their skills and weaknesses in reading, looking specifically at word processing speed.
    Hope that helps,
    Matt

4. Have you considered using PIVATS or something similar, which breaks down national curriculum levels into smaller steps, which can be useful for pupils who have SEN. We use this for all our pupils in my special school. We too have just started using Rapid but have not really assessed its direct impact, as it is not the only reading intervention we have so it is difficult to measure how much of any progress is attributable to Rapid.

5. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Hi,
    I don't really want to do something like PIVATS as that would rely on the teachers assessing them and I wanted somerthing that I could do discretely. Thanks for all the ideas though!

6. I have been testing reading ability for a few years now (including Salford) and have not come across a test that matches results to a NC level. Some tests will just state that the pupil is facing extreme difficulty or is average etc.
    As reccommended by our Ed Phsych, at the moment we are using:
    Neale Assessment of Reading Ability (NARA) up to 12 yrs- Reading accuracy, rate and comp included
    Single Word Reading Test (SWRT)
    York/Yarc - Testing for older pupils. Including reading rate/accuracy/comp
    Most tests provide diagnostic info and decoding info.
    Sorry I don't have publication details at hand for you at this moment.
    Hope this might be of help.

7. susanrk

susanrk New commenter

The Salford Reading test has very recently been revised and now gives a comprehension age as well as a reading age- look on Amazon or google- now 3 forms rather than 2- quick and easy to use 1-1 with children.
    The Neale isn't worth buying now really as it should be re-standardised soon but can't be because of the death of the originator.

albenini likes this.
  8. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Sorry for the late reply (have been enjoying the school holidays!). The revised salford sounds interesting - I shall look into it, thanks.

9. camronfry

camronfry New commenter

Hi,
    With the Salford Reading Test you need to buy the manual, test cards and record sheet or are the cards & sheets included in the manual?
    Thanks.

10. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I had a quick look and you can get the whole lot in the new specimen set which was about £40 on amazon. This contains one of everything. From my experience of the old Salford you really don't need the record sheets for each pupil so I would assume its the same for the updated version.

11. susanrk

susanrk New commenter

You'll certainly need all 3 but they look good with standardised scores as well as ages.