1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Measuring kitchens - help!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Anonymous, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have just got a new house [​IMG]
    I want to put up an extra kitchen cabinet to create space. You can never have enough space. So I have done research on kitchen doors blindly assuming I could get a cabinet easily.
    I have measured the existing cabinets - height 730mm and depth 310mm.
    So I look on the internet and it seems that the standard height and width are 720mm and depth 300mm.
    I can't believe these are non standard cabinets. I have checked my measurements carefully. Am I missing something? Is there some special thing you have to take into account? I have ignored the doors which are not framed.
    Any advice welcome.

2. Are you measuring to the outside of the carcass and they are measuring the inside dimensions?
    I have no idea. I would probably be here asking the same question!
    Good luck!

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

If could be that what you have is imperial mearsurment cabinets...measure them and see if they come out exact Inches and feet.The problem might be not the carcass but the doors matches.
    There coud be a chance they are hand made .either as diy or bought that way.
    If they are mperial then y can buy these online......but if they ar just hanging wal cabinets you might be better taking them down and replacing them with new metric.a lot cheaper and not really hard to fix!
    If you buy cheapish ones then when you redesign the kitchen you can then afford to throw them away.
    If they are base units then you might want to get a local chippy to measure up and make them for you

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well my Dad is visiting tomorrow and I'm sure he'll be very keen to give me his opinion and expert advice. I'll be lucky to get a word in edgeways.
    I googled "Imperial measures kitchen cabinets" - would you believe there is a company called Imperial Kitchens?
    I like the idea of replacing the old carcass with a new one. Could even get deeper ones!! Space, space.
    My new house has lots of potential - could easily spend a lot of money but am being a good girl.

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

You can either get cupboards from a big company like B&Q - in which case they tend to do the sizes they do, or go to a kitchen fitter and they'll get you whatever size you want.

6. I got my whole kitchen (minus appliances) from B&Q about 4 years ago for a little over £200. Dad fitted it for me. Might be worth starting again at those prices?

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Can you find out the make of the kitchen cupboards? If it's a new build, that shouldn't be too difficult. If it's older, there may be some clue as to the make inside one of the carcases. We bought a new build last year and found a company locally that stocked the brand of kitchen in the house. One of our neighbours bought an extra cupboard from Ikea. We bought end panels from B&Q to go with the branded cupboard.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Once again, Google has opened up the world to me!! It does not look too difficult to replace the carcass and get some new ones which will have identical dimensions. And I have got some door samples on the way to me.
    LIke I said, you can never have enough storage space.

9. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Even when you think you do, the kitchen stuff mushrooms during the night. I have noticed this, you know.

10. oldsomeman

ts drawer space i seem to run out off .along with cupboard spaces lol

11. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That looks great - can see a spot for it between the fridge and the wall.
    Must slow down - been researching double glazing and cavity wall today. I rang up to talk to the power company who set me up on a direct debit based on the previous user - they used £1100 a year - it's only a 2 bed flat. So have changed supplier and am researching glazing.
    Dad was useful - except he went on about moving power supplies in the kitchen. So much to do[​IMG]

13. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I thought this thread was 'measuring kittens' and I got all excited![​IMG]

14. oldsomeman

As a piece of advice do each room at a time..decid e which one is of importance and do that
    Usually the bedroom,bathroom and then kitchen ......but you might have different priorities.
    If you feel that the walls need plastering then do all that in one go as that gets all the mess out of the room and the house......please be patient as its natural that you want to do it all at once......
    With power remember that unless your dad is only extending a ringmain or fitting spur then he needs to have the work certified by a qualified electrician,,,,,,so wil allow you to do the work and then only charge you for the certificate.

15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

As it's a flat, be careful about cavity wall insulation or you could end up insulating everyone else's flat at the same time? There will be no divisions in the cavity separating adjoining flats.
    Flats are leasehold, anyway, so it's the freeholder of the flats who would do that sort of improvement and then bill the leaseholders.
    Check the legalities of changing the windows too. There might be a clause int eh lease that stipulates that all flats have the same 'look' on the exterior.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's ex-council. A couple of flats have had glazing done. Not sure about the cavity wall. That thought did occur to me.
    Anyway - it is going to be one step at a time. My mind has gone into overdrive which is what it sometimes does.