1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Measurement Conversion Display Ideas??

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by JustDreaming, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas for a display about converting measurements? Or know where I could find anything? I'm at a loss for inspiration. I've been on **********, Twinkle, Teacher's Pet, Mrs Pancake and even image searches on google. But there is nothing. I know this may sound like a silly thing to post, but coming to the end of term my ideas are zero.... and converting measurements is my new nemesis.

Thanks for any ideas :mad:)

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

IME, the reason kids don't "get" conversion is that they do get conversion - it's just that measurements dimply don't mean anything to them.

If they know that a can of coke is about 1/3rd of a litre then they're in a much better place when you tell them that 2 cans of coke is just over a pint.

Or that about 4 times round a rugby/football pitch is a km. and about 7 times round is a mile...

So if I was doing a display on conversion, I'd be showing things like those (rather than exact conversion factors).

3. Thats the problem, they don't know any measurements. We looked at some past sats questions last week, and I asked 'how many ml are in 1l?' to which I got the answer '10cm'.....
    I see these children once a week & am expected to work miracles. How?

Thanks for your comments, I'll take them on board when I figure out which route to take.

4. then isn't producing a display the least of your problems? or are you looking to produce a display that will drum some of the missing ideas into their heads
    why do you only see them once a week?

5. Thanks for your comments - completely forgot about this post!

I only see some of the children once a week because thats what my time table allows. I do extra work with certain children. I've tried practical stuff with them - their class teacher has tried stuff with them and I'm finding that for some reason they just cannot grasp this concept.

I've shown them past SATs questions and aksed them to explain to me what the question is aking them to do. They simply don't realise that if the measures are in two different units they need to convert one so that they are both the same unit in order to find the correct answer.

I was hoping to create a visual display that would help the children with remembering key facts. Something that when they were in a SATs and everything gets covered they would still be able to picture it.

6. Take in some actual stuff - milk bottles (1.176L) and drink cans / water bottles (330ml / 500ml). And start to relate the names to the amounts: centi = 100, like percentages or centuries. Kilo = 1000, like when you write "Billy woz ere, 2k14" etc.

Get some cm cubes and tell them that 1 cm cube = 1ml, so how many make a litre?

If they are a bit dim, hands on stuff and word association can always be a way in.

cyolba, do it with stuff :)

7. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

You don't have to be "a bit dim" for "hands on" to have value.

After all, this is measurement, it essentially is "hands on". It's arguably the most important bit of applied maths there is.

Thinking about it, it's one of the few elements of maths where there's real scope for differentiation. You really can have a mixed ability class measuring stuff and then carrying out differentiated exercises with their results. You can really impress SLT-types by doing it all cross-curricular and getting the DT, PE and science departments involved.

8. Thanks for the suggestions lots to work with :)

9. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Cyolba - possibly your most positive post of 2014 - well played sir! Christmas spirit is kicking in...