1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meanwhile, in France...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 19, 2018.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You quoted something which says it's a tank in a large coloured font. So it's wrong - or perhaps trying to spread fake news. I'm not even sure it fires anything - I suspect its an armoured personnel carrier (similar where shown on the 10 pm news last evening), and given the violence of some of the protesters armoured protection seems reasonable.

FWIW I drive a VW. As far as I was able to discover, the majority of parts are made in Germany.

2. FrankWolley

3. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Macron faces no confidence vote today.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What is that link supposed to lead to? Because all I get is the google home page...

Sir_Henry, nizebaby and Photo51 like this.
  5. FrankWolley

6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

You beat me to it!

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Cheers...

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well reading that I'm not entirely sure what the purpose would be except to show solidarity. Admirable and everything but...

We shall have to see how Act 5 goes this weekend... if it goes at all after Strasbourg...

10. FrankWolley

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Erm... people were panicking and as a result people got hurt... this is surprising to you? I've been hit by tear gas, in France, you run, you panic, you want to get away... [especially when all you were doing was walking out of the wrong metro station and didn't realise there was a protest there].

A small minority of the over 100,000 protestors rioted and thieved. That is how it always is in large scale protests. As I evidenced earlier with links to the videos, the majority peaceful demonstrated their anger with the government.

Mainstream, establishment media, will always, without fail, focus on the small rioting minority... and some people will lap it up because they want to the Establishment to tell them what to do, what to think...

border_walker and artboyusa like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well Act 5 is a go... looks like the French state has decided that it's had enough.

upload_2018-12-15_15-29-19.png

https://twitter.com/Jordan_SP1/status/1073959712402628609

upload_2018-12-15_15-29-52.png

https://twitter.com/armani_salado/status/1073959617967857666

Of course some will only discuss the minority of violence from the protesters... ignore the state violence as you will.

upload_2018-12-15_15-31-2.png

https://twitter.com/marxistJorge/status/1073958926184579073

This definitely won't get media coverage
    upload_2018-12-15_15-31-50.png

https://twitter.com/SwotTyler/status/1073959280938754049

But don't worry, the man of the people is hereto tell everyone it's all OK... sat in a room decorated with more wealth than the people he inflicts onerous taxes on could ever hope to see.

[​IMG]

13. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Cripes, look at his shoes. What's up with those boats? Is he planning to walk upon the moon?
    And has the state decided enough is enough? Sure. these demonstrations against our pretend democracy are okay up to a point but beyond that, the people below need to be reminded who is le patron de tous les patrons.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Sir_Henry likes this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...further-after-month-of-gilets-jaunes-protests

45% very dissatisfied with former investment banker Macron.
    One poll has him on 20%.

upload_2018-12-18_14-59-4.png

A video I watched this morning had French protesters bemoaning poverty levels and people having to turn to food banks. We've had food banks as a feature of our society since 2010 [first time I heard of them anyway]... 8 years of whinging... the French, they protested. They let their government know.

I use to have it as a signature... People should not be afraid of their government, government should be afraid of the people. True then, true now.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Scattered demonstrations... some violent... this officer seems to be getting trigger happy...

upload_2018-12-22_20-53-21.png

Edit: oh yeah... that's on the Champs-Elysees

17. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

artboyusa likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

According to my Twitter there are a 6th weekend of protests going on ... this is the 6th?

Seem smaller scale now... still clouds of tear gas.

20. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Slavoj Zizek believes that Macron is 'the best today's establishment can offer' who represents the limit of that ideology, and that these protests point to the need for a 'gradual' revolution:

artboyusa likes this.