1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meanwhile, in France...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 19, 2018.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I did not realise your mum lived in France @kibosh ! Where about is she?

2. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Near Avignon :)

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

sodalime likes this.
  4. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

She's originally from Paris. She moved to Avignon via 24 years in Scotland :)

Anyway, from what she is telling me the petrol situation is not as bad as it was 10 days ago, and mostly all the *patients are now managing to use their cars to drive to appointments etc.
    *She works in the medical profession.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Your mother is French? I never knew that!

sodalime likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

When did Kibosh become Sodalime? And why does that feel familiar like I knew it already and then forgot it? And oooh French mother.

I lived in France for four years in the 90s. It was an amazing experience [not I learned no French, cigarettes, beer and bread, that's all I know]. There were protests back then... nothing like this however.

sodalime likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Have contacted several of our friends in France. They are not noticing what's going on. One of them lives in Paris! So it must be pretty localised.

8. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

I'm in france. Gilet-jaunes are on the roundabouts picketing the hypermarkets in the Dordogne.

sodalime likes this.
  9. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

sodalime likes this.
  10. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Mrs FW (French, but has lived most of her adult life in the UK) would agree. Political demonstrations are one thing, wanton violence something different.

FWIW She remembers (as a child) May 1968, and said some of the pictures she has seen are very reminiscent of those days.

PS Last week a friend in her home city posted a short film of students rioting, tear gas blowing in the wind, police etc. I pointed out that it was actually the street where her old lycée is, so the rioting students were probably from her old school! :eek:

sodalime likes this.
  12. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Lan, about 2 years ago i posted for a while as sodalime because MrK and myself had split up and i was feeling a bit uncertain about which way things were going to swing - I PMd quite a few of you to let you know who i was - that may be your familiar memory . . . but alas, the Kibosh username is no longer as I'm locked out of that account and can't remember the email addy I first used to register with TES . . .so it's sodalime from now on in.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Thanks. Probably is what reminded me

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Interesting how all this can partly be blamed on Brexit.

Macron cut the taxes for the ultra rich to snaffle some of the UK wealth and it worked... Paris getting more megarich than London for the first time in an age. But to top up the coffers he had to use green excuses like diesel taxes. Result was to penalise the poor rural majority.

15. FrankWolley

16. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Breathtaking

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

19. FrankWolley

It's not a tank.

BTW My car has the European flag on its number plate. It's not a tank either (nor actually European, though it was built in Germany!) Having the European Flag doesn't make it part of a European army...

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No, it's an armoured vehicle as I clearly said.

1. Probably multiple parts were built in many different countries, it was just assembled in Germany. I thought this was a key concern of the Remain camp.

2. Does your car help police fire tear gas at protesters and journalists?