1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meanwhile, in France...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

I've heard people say that would be willing to pay even more tax to help out with public spending. Obviously they weren't French.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

3. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Sir_Henry and Vince_Ulam like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Appears you were right...

Eiffel Tower to close, 140 arrested, school protests spreading...
    [​IMG]

Got to say it, on things like this I admire the French. The UK government screws us over time and again, tax cuts for the wealthy, regressive tax hikes for working folk, piling law on law, criminalising opinions... the French resist... we are supine.

bevdex, lexus300, artboyusa and 4 others like this.
  5. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Trop vrai. If the French had voted for Frexit and their overlord class tried to screw them over like voters in this country are being screwed over with Brexit the Élysée would be smouldering ruins.

lexus300, blazer and Sir_Henry like this.
  6. Photo51

Certainly riots, arson, looting, death/injury, multi million costs and major economic damage work wonders in getting government attention and results. Checking it out this weekend

lexus300 and Sir_Henry like this.
  7. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Most of the cars burnt and shops looted last weekend belonged to ordinary people, but the French elite. It's just an excuse to riot.

8. Weald56

'Not' the French elite, of course!

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The vast majority peacefully protested.

Focusing on the thuggish rioting minority is a tactic of establishment thinking.

10. Weald56

If it was your car that was burnt, or shop that was looted, would you think that?

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That the majority of protesters were peaceful? yes... because that is what the evidence suggests. I wouldn't take the actions of a minority and then tar the whole majority with it...

Are you suggesting the actions of a minority should tar the majority? Because it reads like that...

12. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Students in Mantes-La-Jolie, 60km West of Paris, 6th December:

Context:

French government defends heavy-handed police tactics against students

'Videos and photos of the students from two high schools in Val Fourre, a deprived neighborhood outside Mantes-La-Jolie, 60 kilometers west of Paris, went viral on social media late on Thursday, prompting public outrage.

“Over the past few days, the students have been joined by about 100 hooded youths armed with clubs and incendiary devices and determined to pick a fight with police,” Interior Minister Christophe Castaner told a news conference.

Castaner said roadblocks had been set alight, projectiles hurled at motorists and houses robbed in the area around the two schools.
    '
    Reuters.com, 7th December 2018.

Toulouse students, 4th December:

Toulouse students, 5th December:

Toulouse students, 6th December:

Goodbye Toulouse.

lanokia likes this.
  13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

14. Weald56

I'm suggesting that few people who - through no fault of their own - lost their car or perhaps their livelihood, would say so blithely what you did. I think most would be spitting mad at the lawless lowlifes who took advantage of the protests to do either vandalise or loot.

Perhaps you would smile and refuse to criticise the protesters. I don't think many people would, though.

15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah shucks... it's another ''how offensive''... another ''I'm going to strawman you instead of engaging''...

So I describe the rioters as a ''thuggish minority'' but you can't read that ... why is that?

Now why is it you like to tar the majority with the actions of the minority?

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Odd that you mention that... but not the elderly woman who was killed by police firing a tear gas canister at her head?

https://www.oneindia.com/internatio...r-being-hit-by-tear-gas-canister-2817384.html

Sir_Henry and artboyusa like this.
  18. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Well, if this kind of treatment doesn't teach those kids to love and respect their rulers, nothing will.
    upload_2018-12-7_20-34-58.jpeg

lexus300 and emerald52 like this.
  19. Photo51

Out of cities, they are a bit of a pain. Blocking thre road on roundabouts witha bonfire in the middle to keep warm. Police just watching so the traffic tailback doesn't go too far back. Like random picket lines.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter