1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meanwhile, in France...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 19, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

3. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Seems like the global economic system isn't working for enough people in Europe and it's a battle now to see if it's going to be the far left or far right which topples it because the centre seems very invested in keeping the status quo.

History is doomed to repeat I suppose... wasn't this what happened in Germany between the wars?

The problem is that the far left and far right as well as wanting to improve the economics also have some crazy ideas about other things and are lacking government experience, so things will get far worse before they get better.

Politicians in the centre need to get their act together, fast. Will France really be electing another centrist saviour like Macron now or finally go for Le Pen? And if she fails... what then? It's a worry.

artboyusa, lexus300 and lanokia like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Strong and stable government!!!!!
    I seem to remember a number of you celebrating Macron's victory. Do you still?

artboyusa likes this.
  7. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Over le Pen?

Absolutely.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

9. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

The first thing the countries of Europe should do is control their borders.

The rest of us should stop conflating criticism of immigration - an idea - with immigrants.

lexus300, artboyusa and border_walker like this.
  10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Might not be a paywall, more a GDPR wall. They won't let you read their content because they can't sell your data. Never mind, Brexit could sort that out.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No, it's not behind a paywall... I just scrolled past the option to access it for free on my phone!

Found it now.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Interesting point Applebaum makes is that En Marche was itself a revolutionary party... now seemingly being overtaken by greater revolutionary forces [maybe]...

Akin to the French Revolution being consumed by The Terror.

13. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Poor Macron. Seems like only yesterday he was the fresh faced globalist poster boy who would make everyone forget how their lives are being made worse and their country wrecked. Now he's just another failed grifter. Him and Theresa...gone by Christmas, I hope.

14. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Yeah, if she'd got in the country would probably have been torn apart. Riots in the streets, violent confrontations...

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Enjoy the revolution.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Von Schlieffen lives! But there's always a von Moltke, a lesser light who thinks he knows better.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Our data will be sold from birth?

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Napoleon was part of the Revolution until he decided the time was right for a 'whiff of grapeshot'.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Macron the investment banker? I'm sure he knows exactly how to distribute wealth.