1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meanwhile, in France...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 19, 2018.

1. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

2. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

sparkleghirl likes this.
  3. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

One of the problems for the GJs is that a lot of their demands are contradictory, e.g. they want lower taxes and better pensions etc. They are essentially fantasists.

Macron may well have messed up his political aims by the way he has gone about it, but wasn't he elected on a promise to modernise France's economy and introduce more realism?

catmother likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And Trump was elected to build a wall.

I look forward to your defence of Trump's stance.

5. Weald56

• Trump won narrowly - losing the popular vote - which was hardly a ringing endorsement of his policies. Macron (whom I have little time for, by the way) won 2/3 to 1/3. Some of these voters at least must have supported his policies! Maybe a fair number are now rioting every weekend!
    • Trump promised to make Mexico pay for the wall during the election. Are they paying for it?

6. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Fantasists because why? Right now Davos is stuffed full with people who have great pensions and who pay little or zero tax.
    Why should they be special? Why should people accept being told that this is how you must live and don't you dare think it could change?

border_walker likes this.
  7. Weald56

Fantasists because they want lower taxes and more social benefits. Life in France isn't bad - esp. for many of those protesting. Maybe you don't go to France often or know many French people?

I've just read this from a French Tweet:

Je me suis fait insulter par des #GiletsJaunes pour le simple fait de leur avoir dit, sans agressivité aucune, qu'il fallait qu'ils arrêtent les conneries car ils saccageaient gratuitement un arrêt de bus. Je cite : "Dégage, bourgeois, on va te crever ta gueule de PD."

[Using the Microsoft translate to help it goes something like this: I was insulted by some #GiletsJaunes for the simple fact of having told them, without any aggression, that they had to stop the **** because they were looting a bus stop. I quote, "go away, bourgeois, we're going to rip your ****** face off." ‍♂️ #ActeXI]

Thus speaks the true voice of some, at least, of the GJs.

PS I think you'll find Davos is over. So maybe mostly skiers there!

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Macron got 43% of registered voters.... and it's generally accepted that people were voting against Le Pen and not for Macron. Trump won a majority of the electoral college and US states. He won more than Obama in 2008. Those focusing on the popular vote fail to understand the US system of government.

Trump making Mexico pay was through a renegotiation of the USA's trading relationship with Mexico so that more monies accrued to the US government. This was done [ LINK ]. Now, should those obstructing it in the US government now give way?

All that so you can avoid answering a simple question ''weald''...

artboyusa likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

10. Weald56

You are a funny person. You really DON'T like anyone pointing out an alternative POV do you? Insecure, maybe? Otherwise why do you try to use arguments like this? (I use the term 'argument' loosely here).

11. Weald56

Trump won fewer vote than Clinton in 2016 - true or false? I'd say true. Do you disagree? (And try to answer without referring to Obama in 2008 - simply not relevant).

And he frequently said Mexico will pay, only adding that they'd pay for it via import taxes later (when it was clear they WOULDN'T pay for it).

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

OK so you didn't read anything I wrote... good to know. Have a nice day ''weald''.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So you can't address something and instead resort to this?

14. Weald56

I read enough - perhaps all - that you wrote. On a thread about France, you seem to have a fixation about Trump. Strange.

Incidentally you do agree that Clinton won more votes than Trump in 2016, don't you?

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

17. Weald56

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The tweet I quoted was Evreux.

Not in Paris.

I picked it because of the video. Not who tweeted it.

Hence the link... for people to watch it for themselves.

19. Weald56

I always used to tell students who said 'can we trust the internet', to look carefully at who was producing the content before using it. Richard Wellings is easy to research. He isn't a dispassionate observer.

20. Weald56