1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meanwhile, in France...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 19, 2018.

1. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I wouldn't presume to lecture you on something you know more about than I. All I know is the working class in France are not happy with the way things are and they are doing something about it.

I have great admiration for them. Hopefully the British will show such backbone when they are denied Brexit.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Interesting argument...

Not disagreeing as such but... I don't see this courtesy extended to artboyusa... time and again people tell him he's wrong about Trump... even though he's American...

And does it work the other way around? Would it be OK for someone to say to you ''ah you don't understand Brexit, you're not British''?

artboyusa and Sir_Henry like this.
  3. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Quite. Some of the ignorance demonstrated by these posters on the US shutdown thread is quite staggering.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

However,I would think that being directly affected by Brexit qualifies me to comment.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm all for direct protest and the French are indeed very good at it.

However,les Gilets Jaunes are scary to me because their lists of grievances are a mish-mash of rather impossibly contradictory demands. Less income tax (never more than 25%) but more public spending is a good instance. Item 16 does not even sound French to me but very American:that the State would not interfere in matters of health,education,health and family. I have visions of the type of men who live in the back of nowhere with a few "wives" and a whole bunch of kids who are all home educated and have never been vaccinated.

FrankWolley likes this.
  6. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I see the Macron regime is using helicopters to gas its citizens.

Not that MSM finds this newsworthy.

lanokia likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So the protests are now regrouping and their numbers growing... 50,000 reported on the 5th and 86,000 reported by government estimates by the 12th. And the State is matching them with 80,000 security personnel out... probably to protect those vital speed cameras [privatised and used by a company to bring in revenue and profit of course].

Meanwhile the police are now armed with semi-automatic weapons.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...c-weapons-against-Yellow-Vest-protestors.html

Because that's how to police demonstrations. [scripted response: urgh it's the Daily Mail, fascist!]

Politicians are calling for live ammunition to be used.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8153769/french-police-live-bullets-yellow-vest-protestors-ex-minister/

That's the former education minister under Chirac. Because gunning down protestors would be a great way to defuse the situation [scripted response: urgh the Murdock press!]

And you've got the use of flash-balls by the State...

https://www.midilibre.fr/2019/01/15...ectif-heraultais-monte-au-creneau,7955452.php

Flash-balls are a semi-rigid rubber bullet capable of killing or causing disability... and in December the State order 1200 more of them... France is the only country in the EU where they're legal btw.

Here's a video of French police beating an elderly woman...

upload_2019-1-15_17-7-0.png

LINK

That account is one well worth following... I read he'd tweeted nearly 300 cases of police brutality so far...

This account has video of helicopters being used to fire tear gas into crowds.

upload_2019-1-15_17-9-34.png

https://twitter.com/BasedPoland/status/1084502204608860163/video/1

This is deeply disturbing. And yet it goes largely unreported by UK mainstream media, obsessed as they are with shennanigans in the Westminster bubble.

George_Randle, artboyusa and nomad like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Shocking isn't it... and yet silence follows...

artboyusa and nomad like this.
  9. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Always good to know the government is watching over you...
    [​IMG]

10. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Well, they aren't going away anytime soon.

Macron must give.

Sir_Henry and artboyusa like this.
  11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Must give what?

12. Vince_Ulam

His resignation would be a start.

13. Vince_Ulam

14. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Amnesty was complaining about police brutality weeks ago...
    Usage excessif de la force lors des manifestations des "gilets jaunes"
    Publié le 16.12.2018.

Les forces de l’ordre ont utilisé des flashball, des grenades de désencerclement et des gaz lacrymogènes contre des manifestants majoritairement pacifiques. Nous avons pu recenser de nombreux cas de recours excessifs à la force par des policiers.
    https://www.amnesty.fr/liberte-d-ex...-excessif-de-la-force-lors-des-manifestations

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Firefighters out protesting...

upload_2019-1-21_17-18-31.png

artboyusa likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

French government has engaged in numerous breaches of human rights... they need to be held to account. But EU is more interested in penalising the Visegrad group than the actual abusive government.

upload_2019-1-21_18-38-45.png

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Firefighters vs. police
    upload_2019-1-21_18-39-28.png

20. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

France 24 was interesting yesterday. 9AM News. Lead items: Congo elections, Trump, something else.
    Not a word about the GJs. Government strategy now clear. Beat down the protests. Smother the story. It won't work.

lanokia likes this.