1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meaning of Macbeth

Discussion in 'English' started by PuertaDelVino, Jan 19, 2020.

1. PuertaDelVino

PuertaDelVino New commenter

Hello

Can anyone explain what the meaning of Macbeth is in society? It says Macbeth is a play written by William Shakespeare. It is considered one of his darkest and most powerful tragedies. Set in Scotland, the play dramatizes the corrosive psychological and political effects produced when its protagonist, the Scottish lord Macbeth, chooses evil as the way to fulfill his ambition for power

So what psychological and political effects are produced in society then if someone is Macbeth? What kind of examples can you give?

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

How long have you got? Also, which society? Today's? The contemporary society (1607)? Society around the time of William D'Avenant's rewrite? Or Verdi's opera? Or Leskov's reinterpretation?

Short answer on the meaning of the play: it's a brazen attempt by Shakespeare to suck up to his new monarch and boss (Shakespeare by now was part of the King's Men - so King James I was his boss, not just his King) by packing the play with the King's interests (namely witchcraft, Scotland, the great chain of being and the proper conduct of a King) and making his ancestor (Banquo) look good.

Mrsmumbles and peter12171 like this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ha ha ha!
    Write your own blooming essay!

VeronicAmb and peter12171 like this.
  4. PuertaDelVino

@TB today's society. But you can expand on some of the other times you mention if you want and explain what they did to be evil in power and who to and what happened if you like.

5. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Exactly :)

6. PuertaDelVino

Do you even know me? Do you know if I want to write an essay? Do you know if I live in a Macbethian community with a castle :)

7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

PuertaDelVino likes this.
  8. PuertaDelVino