1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meals for one!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lillipad, Dec 27, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I live on my own at the moment and am really struggling to maintain a decent diet beyond ready meals and pasta and i'd like to lose a bit of weight so just wondering if anyone has any easy low cal recipes that are tasty and just for one biilly no mates!?? Thanks

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I live alone. I find it more convenient to cook for two or four and to freeze the remaining portions.
    Also, if you haven't already got one, get a slowcooker! (My answer to most cookery questions!)
    Seriously, a slowcooker is great. You can throw everything in at once and leave it - all day if necessary and come back to a hot, cheap and low-cal meal.
    Stews, casseroles, curries, chillies, soups...all cook beautifully in the slow-cooker.
    To reduce calories, use less fat, and bulk out meat with extra veggies and 'good' carbs.
    If you let us know what meals you like, someone here is bound to have a low-cal version for you!

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well i'm pretty open to eating anything although i'm not keen on fish! So would take any suggestions really!

I've considered a slow cooker before... i'm always a bit worried about reheating things though if i freeze things and am unclear on what meats I can reheat and which I can't!

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Basically meat can be frozen twice...once fresh and once cooked....so you buy some meat, maybe sausages and they are fresh. They can be frozen, no problem. Later, you can defrost them, and then cook them in , let's say a casserole. (Any unthawed sausages CANNOT be re-frozen, they need to be used). The casserole can now be frozen in portions with no problems.
    A slowcooker is a great investment - and maybe even a sales bargain can be found! ...although you can get a basic model for under £30 easily. They are perfectly safe and really cheap to run.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

When we want to lose a bit of weight, we banish potatoes, pasta and rice as accompaniments and substitute lower-carb alternatives such as extra vegetables. I've never really believed this pasta-is-the-fat-person's-friend business.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I go the other way and eat plenty of potatoes and pasta but as little fat as possible. it works for me but I've never been very overweight.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I cook for one the majority of the time. What I do is to make a normal 4 portion mix, eg bolognaise, cook pasta for2 if o/h is here and freeze the rest in one portion sizes. I suggest you get a freezer if you haven't got one and make use of it in keeping meals for when you haven't got time to cook.

As many of you will have noticed, meat is sold in 2 or 4 portion sizes, cook one and freeze the other, eg chicken breasts. Roast one and either freeze the other or halve it and stir fry then freeze the other half.
    As Bethannie suggests, get a slo-cooker, brilliant for making stews etc.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Nor have I! [​IMG]

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

I know it sounds strange but if you have an, eg, banana, an apple and an orange or clementine every morning, that's three of the dreaded five dealt with in one fell swoop. If, like me, you're not a breakfast person, you can stagger your breakfast over the morning. With a small and virtuous bowl of muesli, you'll be well away. It's noisy but easy.
    Do you have a butcher near you? You don't have to buy for two or four of stuff. A quarter pound of lamb's liver is plenty for one, as is one pork chop or chicken quarter. Make friends with your butcher - they'll sell you an ox cheek for very little and you'll get two good meals out of it.
    Just remember to use the oven for as much as you can for a meal if you're using it at all - you can save a lot of energy that old-fashioned way.

10. GrahamLawler

GrahamLawler New commenter

check out The Eat well stay slim budget cookbook by Joanna McIllhatton, 9781842851296 simple recipes and great food

11. Buy a packet of pork steaks, a jar of apple sauce, a potato, some green veg and a packet of stuffing.
    make up the stuffing
    Slice the potato really thinly, put a pork steak on top (freeze the rest) covedr with the apple sauce first and the stuffing second - left over stuffing can be frozen

put the pork in the oven for 20 mins, at the same time steam / boil the veg

serve together.

12. Hi lillipad,

I have lived on my own for nearly 2 years so regularly cook meals for one! I try to cook most things from scratch apart from the occasional pizza. What I do is I often cook enough for approx 4 portions of something then eat 2 over 2 days and put the other 2 in the freezer. Those freezer meals were a godsend during OFSTED and are brilliant for taking into school for lunch or to have for dinner when you are so knackered from school you can't think straight!

Things I enjoy cooking during the week are lentil curry, rice stir fries (lots of veg, cashew nuts, soya sauce, some rice wine and seasoned with sesame oil, lovely!), veggie enchilada bake, tomato based pasta sauces with peppers and lots of fresh basil, thai green curry (using chicken thighs - much cheaper and means I can buy free range) and 'mediterranean' sausages (sausages, a red onion and peppers seasoned with paprika and cooked in passata). At the weekend I like to indulge a little more so often treat myself to richer meals like potato dauphinoise, duck, pizza, spaghetti carbonara and the occasional homemade burger.

I am guessing you teach full time so freezing is definitely the way forward. Eating the same meal 2 days in a row also means you don't have to come home and cook every night but because you have prepared food from fresh ingredients, you aren't relying on ready meals. I have a food blog if you fancy reading it - amateurfoodramblings.wordpress.com

Bon appetit! :)

13. Arrrgh I did paragraph that but as per usual, TES posts it with no paragraphs! *Sigh*.