1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meal times at six months old.

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by MrsDetermined, Feb 8, 2011.

1. M little boy is six months old, we have been weaning for a month but we've been taking it slowly. So far he has done most common fruits and vegetables without a problem and is now enjoying two meals a day.
    Since about ten weeks he has had a feed at 7am , 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm. He has porridge and fruit puree at his 10am feed and vegetables at his 4pm feed. His milk intake is part formula and part breatmilk and he was taking 8oz per feed.
    Basically it's all getting a bit confused and I don't know where to go from here.
    LO has stopped being hungry for all of these feeds (understandably) and is taking less milk at each feed (understandably).
    My questions are:
    What is everyone elses LO taking in terms of food and milk.
    When should I introduce a third meal?
    Am I feeding at the right times?
    He has stopped wanting his 7pm feed and is now falling asleep after very little milk, if any at all. Is he having too much during the day?
    It's all going a bit Pete Tong :-s

2. M little boy is six months old, we have been weaning for a month but we've been taking it slowly. So far he has done most common fruits and vegetables without a problem and is now enjoying two meals a day.
    Since about ten weeks he has had a feed at 7am , 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm. He has porridge and fruit puree at his 10am feed and vegetables at his 4pm feed. His milk intake is part formula and part breatmilk and he was taking 8oz per feed.
    Basically it's all getting a bit confused and I don't know where to go from here.
    LO has stopped being hungry for all of these feeds (understandably) and is taking less milk at each feed (understandably).
    My questions are:
    What is everyone elses LO taking in terms of food and milk.
    When should I introduce a third meal?
    Am I feeding at the right times?
    He has stopped wanting his 7pm feed and is now falling asleep after very little milk, if any at all. Is he having too much during the day?
    It's all going a bit Pete Tong :-s

3. It's hard because they are all different. But from 6 months I think they need a minimum of 500ml of milk a day and should gradually be having less. In addition, he should be able to start eating a more normal diet (ie pureed meals such as roasts) rather than just vegetables.
    I think my daughter probably dropped to 3 milk feeds fairly soon after 6 months - one in the morning, then breakfast, one mid morning, lunch (12pm), fruit snack(2pm), tea (4pm), then milk before bed. But she was a pretty quick weaner and was down to 2 milk feeds by 10 months (which is probably too early)

4. Hi Mrs D,
    We're behind you as have only been weaning for 2 weeks as Jemima is only 21 weeks. However, I thought you might be interested in what we are doing.... I have to say we aren't anything like as sorted with timings of milk feeds as you, I am breast feeding on demand and she usually only last 2 and a half hours max between feeds...
    A rough day looks like this...
    7.30am - milk feed
    8.30 - fruit puree & baby rice
    10.30 - milk feed
    1pm - milk
    3pm - milk
    5pm - veg puree (+fruit if she polishes that off!) followed by a milk feed
    8pm - milk
    I was thinking of introducing lunch once she is 6 months and making it finger foods. I have no idea how much milk she is taking at each feed, but she seems to be taking as long as normal to feed and seems to still really want it. I think it may be thirst as she hasn't really got the hang of the cup i've given her for water. I also don't seem to be feeding her any less often, in spite of the solids. Altho she has slept thro more often so maybe it is helping. It's all such a mine field!