1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Meal ideas for a fussy 1 year old!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Keep Smiling!, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

Hi, my LO is 14 months and up until about 3 months ago would eat anything. However she is going through a real fussy stage and only wants to eat toast, sandwiches, fish fingers, sausages and chips! I don't know if part of it is because she can pick it up and eat it although she does eat well in nursery. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for things for tea as I don't want to give her sausages etc every weekend! I have tried sweet potato chips but she just spat them out!

2. Home-made pizza using muffins or French bread as bases, any big pieces of pasta, roast potatoes, chick pea burgers, chicken strips - I cook them with lemon and parsley, tortilla wraps with chicken and veg. I've found my LO is more willing to try new things when she eats with us, so we try to eat together, OH and I have our main with LO but then have our dessert later.

3. My LO has been through loads of fazes and fads when it comes to food. He is 2 now and has seemingly grown out of most of them. Sure fire hits in our house are:
    Wraps with mini home made burgers, really thin (like french fries) home made chips, soup (I usually make chicken with veg and pulses so a good mix of foods), pizza, pasta with cheese or a tomato sauce, spag bol/lasagne/cottage pie. Chicken and rice.
    Pasta bake make with chicken, finely chopped tomato, mushrooms and cheese sauce or tuna bake.

4. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

Thank you for all the suggestions! We tried homemade chicken burgers yesterday but she wouldn't even try them! She seems to look at things and decide if she wants to eat them or not! We managed to get a bit in her mouth but she spat it out. I ate them instead, they were yummy!

5. Bolognese is always a hit. We're veggie, and this is adapted from a recipe on netmums:

Gently fry an onion and some garlic until softening. Rinse 150g red lentils and add to the pan, frying until paler. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes and a carton of passatta, refill the carton with water and add to the pan. I grate a carrot and a courgette in as well, and throw in some chopped up mushrooms. Add 2tsp of bouillon, 2tsp sugar and 2tsp balsamic vinegar. Stir it all in and leave simmering for at least an hour, preferably two (or even better made the day before). It is almost always demolished in this house!

Risotto has always been a favourite too. Homemade soup with bread to dip if spoon skills are still developing. Pasta and sauce is usually our default in a rush, or pasta with scrambled egg and grated cheese.

6. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

Is she having the same as you? It's easier that way!
    We like the pitta pizzas: pitta with tomato puree, whatever veggies and cheese on, then cut into strips for her (we usually have them with sweet potato wedges though!)
    Absolute fave for my little one is fish - she can quite easily eat an adult portion of white fish! Usually do it with spuds, peas/sweetcorn/carrots and samphire - which is a very odd fave of hers!
    Oh, and we've recently done meatballs. 500g beef mince, 1kg pork mince, finely chopped onion, breadcrumbs, bug it all together with an egg then form into balls. Makes lots for the freezer.

7. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

Oh, and chicken stew with dumpling's gone down a treat recently - she seems to prefer the chicken that way than having it as part of a chicken dinner.

8. Beans on toast are very popular with LO in the house! And they're not actually unhealthy, esp if you get the low salt and sugar ones.
    Eggy bread? Just dip the bread in whisked up egg and fry, a good way to get protein into her if she only likes bread.
    Veg and pitta bread strips with hummous are another good protein hit. As you may be able to spot - my LO isn't keen on meat!
    Bolgnaise as s'one else said. If she only like to pick up things then you could cook big bits of pasta for her to dip into it?
    Tomato pasta sauce for dipping or seving with - tin of toms, onion, garlic if liked then I add courgette, mushrooms and peppers (like a ratatouille). You can blitz it up or chop the bits small enough to leave it chunky.