1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ME / CFS - any experience please?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by kittenmittens, Mar 19, 2019.

1. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I'm off sick with this ghastly illness and have just found out my fixed term contract will not be renewed for September. Before becoming ill I had excellent feedback from SLT and the head. Head has cited budget issues for the reason but I explicitly asked (instigated a meeting myself) a few weeks ago if I would be kept on. I was told to put it out of my mind as there would definitely be a role for me long term. I'm not thinking straight due to fatigue and brain fog so am unsure what to make of this and what to do. I'm too unwell to walk my own children to school at the moment and spend most of my time asleep or lying down resting.

2. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

I don’t have any advice, but I’m sorry to hear how bad you feel. Have you tried finding an expert in the NHS via google, and asked to be referred to them?

3. kittenmittens

I've had a referral and since my first post have been diagnosed with ME. I'm being referred for cbt to find coping strategies and come to terms with the illness. There's no other treatment though. When I wake up in the morning after 12 hours' sleep my body is really stiff and sore. Hoping this isn't the end for teaching.

4. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

I have Chronic Fatigue, although its not caused by M.E., its caused by another genetic condition I have. Its a nightmare trying to stay in teaching. But I imagine it might be the same with any job. I struggle to wake up early, and regularly fall asleep whilst driving in my car to work, so I have to keep stopping and getting out to walk around, or get fresh air, or have a drink, or even a nap!

I am so tired during the day, that there have been times when I have literally fallen asleep in front of a class of students, although luckily they were on the computers doing research and didn't realise!

In order to survive, I have had to devise my own plan, because I fear that SLT at my school would not agree to it. In my free periods, I turn off the lights in my classroom, lock the door, and go to sleep on the floor behind my desk. I can't be seen by anyone looking in the window on the door. It doesn't bother anyone. I just know that I can't get through the week if I don't have at least a couple of naps like that across the 5 week days. I know SLT would probably have a fit if they knew thats what I was doing in my free periods but its either that, or I would end up having every other day off school!

I also make sure I leave school at least twice a week about ten minutes after the bell goes, and drive straight home, and take a 40 minute nap before my kids get home from school / nursery. One day a week I pick my 5 year old from school at 4pm and we drive home and she knows that the routine is that she can sit next to me in bed and play on games on my phone for an hour whilst I nap next to her, until my husband comes home with our other daughter.

I also nap for several hours in the day on both Saturday and Sunday.

Even WITH all those things in place, I'm still struggling to get through each day / week / term. I am not sure how long I can keep it up for but I just can't afford to go part time until at least both my kids are in school and we are no longer paying for nursery fees.

5. kittenmittens

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately I'm not in a fit state to teach. Sensitivity to light and sound plus severe headaches mean I can't go near a classroom. I'm lying down a lot as my body protests if I move. The fatigue is so severe that it needs another word to describe it... I tried to watch a very familiar easy going film yesterday and was totally confused.

I'm taking a year out next year to rest and hopefully recover. I miss my old life but don't even have the capacity to be bored as my brain is shot to pieces.

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I feel your pain. I once read that ME is to tiredness what lightening us to a spark, and how true it is.
    In my day there was so many people who don't think it exists and would tell you to pull yourself together. I'd like to think things have moved on since then.
    I had to reduce to part time, having also had a year out. I've worked part time ever since, means my pension is pants but at least it's now well under control and I can enjoy life again.
    It took ages though, working out what makes it worse, what helps, how to avoid stress, relaxation, tai chi, meditation all helped me.
    I also found the ME association amazing.
    I hope you find a way through, but if you can afford to not work, I'd definitely consider it for a few months.

7. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

Hello Kittenmittens,
    Have you been officially diagnosed with this illness? I hope you are under the care of a doctor and that they have thoroughly investigated all possible causes of your symptoms. I don't have CFS or ME but understand how debilitating fatigue can be - it is not just being a little tired and it can hit like a tonne of bricks out of nowhere.

I think you might be covered under the Equality Act and could be entitled to a risk assessment and reasonable measures to help you stay at work. Have you seen an Occupational Therapist? They can work wonders to help you with your fatigue.

Make sure you have had all avenues explored in terms of what is causing your fatigue. I also recommend getting in touch with a support group. These people can provide amazing support and advice.