1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Me and Amanda Holden

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jubilee, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

or you can have Tuc sandwiches as a savoury alternative - which I always choose. I haven't given blood for a while, partly because it's not so convenient for me and partly because I was anaemic and the on iron. I did try to give blood just before Christmas but I'd just had a day surgery procedure a few days earlier and they didn't want my blood. But as others have said it is important to do it and my Dad needed several transfusions when he was on chemo.

2. You can have packets of crisps at our now too if you want. The biscuits are still available if you prefer. Not seen the Tucs.
    They ask you now about fertility treatment as it has now emerged that some people were given hormones that may lead to CJD or similar. It's only recently come to light. Scary.

3. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I don't get offered custard creams I'd choose them over crisps! Custard creams rule. I'm very happy to be giving blood and reading Amanda's story thanking people makes it more gratifying!

4. Not any more sadly! Tuc sandwiches were my favourite and they are no longer able to order them[​IMG]

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I tried to give blood a few years after benefitting from numerous donations (my baby needed several blood transfusions too) but it was 1983 when I had my transfusions and blood was not being screened for HIV at that time, so they put a blanket ban on donations from any blood recipients in that period.

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I had major surgery in 1978 - would that disqualify me? Have to admit that the reason I refused a transfusion after bloodloss giving birth was because of the Cjd thing - couldn't cope with the added fear of that hanging over me :(

7. I think 1980 is the cut-off point. You could give blood, I'm sure. :)

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Anyone thinking of giving blood can chat to someone about it on 0300 123 23 23
    They are always helpful and eager to relieve you of some of the red stuff if you pass the health criteria - for your own safety and that of others.
    http://www.blood.co.uk/

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I don't think so. There is a small 'window' in the early 80s when HIV was starting to appear in the UK and no test for it had been devised/implemented. Cases were mainly located around London and I received donations in the NorthWest.
    My baby was given fresh blood donated by hospital workers rather than stored blood. She received transfusions of 10mls of blood at a time (2 teaspoons!)

10. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Thanks all, I shall investigate. My parents have given loads (probly coz I had surgery), but I never have (yet). Just so long as they are good at getting the needle in! (unlike midwives and gps, in my experience...)