1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Me and Amanda Holden

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jubilee, Feb 26, 2012.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Reminds me - I'm due to give blood again soon...
    [​IMG]

4. They won't take mine (anaemia) but I do all sorts ofstuff to encourage others.

Good grief jubilee, that has to be intensely scary for loved ones.... just sort of waiting to see what happens to you!
    xx

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I often reflect that my husband had the worst of it as I was unconscious and didn't know what was happening to me.
    An assistant surgeon left the operating theatre to tell my husband to prepare himself for bad news and he didn't know whether to stay nearby to hear about me or head to the Special Care Baby Unit to see our baby in case she died, being only a 27 weeker weighing 2.2 pounds.
    I came round in intensive care to a polaroid of our daughter on my bedside cabinet but was not allowed to go to see her as it was decided that I needed to be hooked up to blood transfusions again for almost 24 hours and she couldn't be moved from SCBU. I had blood being pumped in and milk being pumped out for miss jubilee's nasal tube feeds!
    I can confirm that Amanada Holden hasn't got her figure back from dieting but from dramatic blood loss and probably days of being unable to eat.

6. They won't take mine either because I had a transfusion after my emergency c-section.

I used to give blood, and I actually feel really upset I can't do it anymore. :( It's SO important.

7. Meant to say - 19 pints??????? Bloody hell.

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

I had placenta abrupta and only lost just under 3litres but they were seriously worried ..... 19 pint!?!?!?

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I used to give blood - I had to stop after I had hepatitis some years ago.
    I wish I could still do it.
    Quite simply, it saves lives.
    My lovely Mum has almost died from blood loss on 4 occasions - twice when giving birth and twice after 'routine' operations. On each occasion her life was saved because ordinary people cared enough to give blood.
    It is painless (well, pretty much....I used to find the thumb/finger ***** was the worst part!) and takes such a short time....plus they give you custard creams (the <u>best</u> biscuits!) with your cuppa. (OK, maybe not everywhere does this!)
    Please consider giving blood!

10. Oh, I got a bit mixed up there. 19 units, not pints. But then again, I thought blood packs came in pints? Jubilee, set me straight here.

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'm not sure what a Unit was ... probably half a litre. I had 19 bags on the day after the birth and wasn't told how many were used in the operation.
    I found out several years later, from a GP friend who knew my consultant, that my blood was flooding the operating floor and the surgeon was sliding around in it as he operated!

12. In the old days you would have been a goner. I'm grateful for modern medicine.

13. And by old days, I mean about seventy or so years ago. Not that long ago, really.

14. The amount in each unit of blood can vary slightly but it's usually around 450mls.

15. And yet, still, if you read the Daily Fail comments section they're blaming it all on her wearing high heels!

16. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

What a lot of mopping up! [​IMG]
    Glad to hear all well in the end.

17. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Goodness me, it brings it all back...and I only lost 1800mls (I think, I was a bit wobbly). (traumatic birth, that is, not placentas in wrong places) Poor Amanda Holden, and poor Jubilee - what a way to make an entrance... xxxx

18. She, Amanda Holden, has gone through the mill a bit having lost her first baby so late in the pregnancy. SOrry to hear that you also suffered - I trust your little one did well and is now fine?

19. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Not that long ago at all coffeekid, my mother died 54 yrs ago giving birth to me, due to blood loss, luckily I survived and was fine.

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

She did do well, thank you. Now 28, with a first class Honours degree behind her and working in London.