1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Me again: Next steps idiot-proofed please (nursery)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by AthenaMarina, May 22, 2011.

1. AthenaMarina

AthenaMarina New commenter

These learning journeys with their next steps have been driving us crazy & it's not really IMHO been properly explained. Is this for e.g. a good example:
    A child is banging on a celtic drum tapping out a rhymth
    Next steps: (Teacher does this) Play a range of music from around the world with the class

I'm confused cos initially I thought next steps were next steps for the child???

If a child walks along balancing logs un-aided (for e.g.) what's the next steps for that?

Do not get it please help!!!!

2. working in a private nursery, I don't know if it will be the same as a school. Check with your school, but this is how I do it :)
    I regularly choose next steps for the child and not just straight out of our assessment book. This is because I know what my children can and can't do and too often the next steps seem irrelevant to the observation or a step too far.
    If my child was walking along a balancing beam as an obs, I would be very tempted to put 'for X to jump down a single step, both feet together at the end of the beam'. If I know they can do that, I would look at moving in different directions. It would more likely be different for each child.
    As for the music from around the world, I would extend on the given next step:
    'Play a range of music from around the world with the class encouraging X to comment on tempo, mood and pitch.' Obviously this will be done by the teacher modelling phrases such as 'this is fast/slow/happy/sad/high/low'.
    Does this make sense????

3. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

My next steps at school in Reception tend to be more towards amending/structuring the planning to see further development in the child/children's interests.
    I had a child that was using the magnetix and sticking to a table, so my next step was to introduce magnets into the class, so that he (and others) could work on discovering how magnets work, and sorting items into magentic and not magnetic.
    Hope this helps xx

4. I don't think you need to get hung up on what a 'next step' officially is. How long is a piece of string? Think about the purpose of providing a next step, and plan accordingly, the purpose being to build from prior knowledge to progression. Remember that you will want the child to 'meet' the next step in their CI play (although you might feel you want to plan a focus activity, if enough children would benefit). So (for CI play) to play a range of music from around the world can be set up as something for children to respond to in their own way, undirected. And your target child would have opportunities to respond by playing drums and listening to rhythms played by others and also moving to the music and exploring different instruments, which is a richer experience than simply playing a rhythm (although it depends on the context).
    It is in the nature of CI play to be open ended, obviously, because the teacher does not control it, so next steps have to offer possibilities. Of course, you can always support the particular child whose next step you have identified within the CI play, and as I said before you might set up a focus activity which could have a more specific objective. The balancing logs exercise shows the child has good control and coordination but you might want to encourage that child to have opportunities to try balancing on different parts of the body, or put movements together to make a sequence. The general gist of the development matters moves from confidence and control in movement towards imagination and variety.

5. Sorry, meaningless drivel.
    So you might want to play a range of music from around the world for children to respond to in their own way during CI play, undirected.

6. The next steps should be usually for the child itself not for the rest of the class....

This is off the subject ... are you Greek ? I ask this from your username. :)