1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MDSA payment in lieu of lunch

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by championkuga, Jun 28, 2011.

1. I'm not sure if I am even in the right forum but maybe someone can help? The school dinners at our school are at best mediocre and none of the MDSAs take up the option of the free lunch we are entitled to. I know the school pay the catering supplier to provide the adult meals so we would like to have the payment made to us instead. Even if it is only £2.50 a day, it is still better that the lunchtime staff receive it than the money disappearing into the company's coffers. Has any other school done this and if so, was it a problem to set up and how did you go about arranging it? Many thanks.[​IMG]

2. Years ago when I did "the lady who takes the dinner money" job for a year, to pay for my OU fees I asked if I could take my meal entitlement as cash, and was told no.
    Our MDSAs recently had their contracts changed so they don't get a dinner any more. I guess it depends on individual employers.