1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MD - Size - Reception

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lauly, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting! I have the fear.
    Ok. So, I am currentlydoing my PGCE and finding it all very hard ('really?' I hear you say!). I am consistantly getting 'satisfactory' in my observations and want to push my attainment towards good and excellent.

I am doing MD size in my first week back in the newyear and am a bit worried about how to do it. My teacher modelled it (using The Three Bears) and I was wondering if anyone had any great ideas to do. Are there any good size books? I was thinking The Three Billy Goats Gruff, but has anyone any other ideas as I am doing two lessons on the same theme that week and need to have two stimuli.

Also - are there any exciting idea that I could do? I am making a game for one and thought maybe teddy sorting for another - prehaps giving them clothes to sort as well - do you think this will work AND impress?

Many thanks in advance of any ideas or comments.

Lauly101

2. Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting! I have the fear.
    Ok. So, I am currentlydoing my PGCE and finding it all very hard ('really?' I hear you say!). I am consistantly getting 'satisfactory' in my observations and want to push my attainment towards good and excellent.

I am doing MD size in my first week back in the newyear and am a bit worried about how to do it. My teacher modelled it (using The Three Bears) and I was wondering if anyone had any great ideas to do. Are there any good size books? I was thinking The Three Billy Goats Gruff, but has anyone any other ideas as I am doing two lessons on the same theme that week and need to have two stimuli.

Also - are there any exciting idea that I could do? I am making a game for one and thought maybe teddy sorting for another - prehaps giving them clothes to sort as well - do you think this will work AND impress?

Many thanks in advance of any ideas or comments.

Lauly101

3. Hi Lauly, welcome to TES!
    I've no idea what you mean by MD size!

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sorry to be unhelpful, but I suspect that most of us here have little idea about teddy sorting. It might be fun to try it on my Year 9's, though. Have you tried posting on Primary?
    If it works, it ought to impress. One thing I can suggest is that you think about what would help them learn best, rather than what would impress.

5. DM

DM New commenter

How do you sort teddies?
    Size? Colour? Wear? Species?

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

The Early Years forum is probably a better bet for reception advice.

(Bears are a fairly standard bit of early years numeracy kit:
    http://www.brightideasteaching.co.uk/Three-Bears-Family-Sorting-Counters)

7. Thanks everyone! I realise I have posted in the wrong bit! thanks for your advice!

MD = Mathematical Development (its not called 'maths' in foundation phase in Wales! :s)

Thank you!!!

8. Ah, I see!
    You haven't posted in the wrong place by the way you wanted maths help and this is the maths forum. There are more secondary maths teachers on here, but there are some primary too!
    Have you looked at Numbers and Patterns? If you're not familiar with it then definitely look out a copy.

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Perhaps we should start a "1001 things to do with Counting Bears" thread. I'm sure Secondary colleagues would be fascinated[​IMG]